Options

Resignation - Good Idea?

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I been with this Telecommunications company for 4 months now. First, I started at Level 1phone support but realized it wasn't for me. When I submitted my two-week notice to my manager, he asked if I want to do work as an field technician, which I accepted.

Since being a field tech, I realized this type of work isn't for me (I was previously a field tech for a PC company before). I like enjoy networking (Cisco) and management has there eyes on me (coming late, coworkers complaining to manager(s) about my lack of participation, taken days off).

So my question is, should I:
1) Resign without a job lined out before they fire me.

2) Get my CCNA (CCENT in February), leave my current job for another one.

3) Stay and get fire which will make me look bad.

What do you all think? Don't hold any punches.

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Honestly if this is how you treat your career you're not going to make it anywhere.

How about you start showing up early, giving 110% at your job and showing you care about bettering yourself and your work? Then if you still want to leave you'll be able to find something new.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would focus on #2 and pickup your level until you get another job.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    If I were you I would stop coming late and put more effort in what you are doing. Even if you dont like it pick up whatever skills you can add to your resume then leave if its really not for you. Getting Fired is never good. Leaving a job without something lined up is not very smart either.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Reading through all of your other posts on this similar topic you seem to be a horrible employee. Maybe if you try to bring a good work ethic and show some drive you'd be given the chance to work in networking. Why would you expect to get that chance if you keep coming in late an missing work?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I'll be happy to have your job if you don't want it, as I'm currently working part time in RETAIL of all places! You were lucky to be offered the field tech position in the first place. If you're not happy, look for another job, but as Akaricloud stated, you need to show some initiative, especially if you plan on using this company as a reference.

I'm NOT trying to insult you. I know what it's like to be bored with/absolutely HATE your job. Under no circumstances do you want to be fired, it will come back to haunt you down the road, TRUST ME!!!
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I think you tossed yourself under the fire and asked rhetorical questions to get a response and piss off the other members. Moral of the story, the problem is YOU. There is a lack of work ethic. Who wants to work with someone like yourself? When you are late, someone has to stay longer who may have a beautiful wife with blonde hair and blue eyesicon_rolleyes.gif or child at school waiting. When you "lack" someone has to work harder. The IT field is not for you, join the military or something. Unless you have a significant amount of money in the bank or rich parents, I would not quit. You are in Brooklyn, not Texas. I am sure your name has already been thrown in the mud. There are people who are unemployed struggling through school, and you take a job for granted… Tell mom and dad to call me. we have to talk
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Is that you Mike?
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    The only reason anyone on this board should consider the "Giving up" strategy is after they've put in maximum effort into their current company and cannot get to where they want to be by staying.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Alhaji265 wrote: »
    I been with this Telecommunications company for 4 months now. First, I started at Level 1phone support but realized it wasn't for me. When I submitted my two-week notice to my manager, he asked if I want to do work as an field technician, which I accepted.

Since being a field tech, I realized this type of work isn't for me (I was previously a field tech for a PC company before). I like enjoy networking (Cisco) and management has there eyes on me (coming late, coworkers complaining to manager(s) about my lack of participation, taken days off).

So my question is, should I:
    1) Resign without a job lined out before they fire me.

2) Get my CCNA (CCENT in February), leave my current job for another one.

3) Stay and get fire which will make me look bad.

What do you all think? Don't hold any punches.

You type like a 14yr old valley girl. "I like enjoy networking, I mean OMG it's like so fun and stuff" lol

I for one think you need at attitude adjustment, because your current one just doesn't sound good and your reputation is all you have. IT isn't as big as you think. Having a good reputation is of paramount importance IMO.

I would fire you for coming in late and not showing initiative, there are millions of your type around so it's no loss. Jesus Christ on a cross do you want to be known for that kind of behavior? You should step up, do what you need to do to find a new job but at the same time leave a proper notice and exit with some dignity.

You are in a tough spot because you surely do not want to put this job down as a reference moving forward. With that said, how much work experience before this do you have to push you along into the next position? I'm guessing little to none.

I will ask you this, which type of IT worker do you want to be?

1. 75% are hacks and liars who are lazy and have ego problems. Want the Sr pay, want the Sr respect but aren't willing to do anything to truly get there. Come in late, leave early. There are millions of these hiding and stinking up the profession. Enterprises attract them like flies on scheiße.

2. 25% solid IT professionals who strive to be the best they can be at what they do. They take pride in their work and want to maintain a good reputation when it comes to their work. These people are willing to put in the study time, willing to fail, willing to pick themselves back up from failure, dust themselves off and keep going. These are the current and future Senior IT professionals.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off this post makes me sick to my stomach. With that out of the way here goes my answers.
    1. If you resign with no job to fall back on then you're 2x dummer than we all think you are no offense just being honest.
    2. Doesn't matter ccna ccent ccie if you don't fix your work ethic your current job or any other job is going to want you.
    3. If you stay and get fired then you sir deserve it and the denial of unemployment that follows it.
    4. You realize what your problems are so fix them!
      1. Get to work on time.
      2. give your all, ALL the TIME!
      3. Go the extra mile this time next year we should hear about the awesome 180 you made at work.
      4. As a former Director of I.T trust me there nothing we love seeing than a employee that make a positive change. So pull yourself up my the bootstraps and get to it you can do this. You can only go up from here.
    Check back in with us in a few month and update us on the great strides your making.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    You sound like a quitter. When sh1t gets hard you run for the easiest exit. IT positions only get harder as you move up. You expect the CCNA to be easy? You have to embrace the grind that is IT. If now find another profession.

If you decide to stay, do what you have been told by others.

1. Show up early everyday and ready to work.
    2. Be groomed
    3. Max effort on everything assigned.

Make the most out of the opportunities given in front of you. People like you are the reason why I was able to move into a senior position with less than 3 years in IT. Don't become a stepping stone for others to advance.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    shodown wrote: »
    People like you are the reason why I was able to move into a senior position with less than 3 years in IT. Don't become a stepping stone for others to advance.

BOOM!

Isn't it so easy to outshine them though, its laughably easy. "Wow, you changed a router password and documented it. OMG you are the greatest ever". lol
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BOOM!

Isn't it so easy to outshine them though, its laughably easy. "Wow, you changed a router password and documented it. OMG you are the greatest ever". lol

This! Says so much in one sentence it's a mouthful.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^^ Couldn't agree more. Instead of coming over and asking me every time, why not read through the doc that I worked on over the course of a month WITH SCREENSHOTS explaining it in excruciating detail? I guess reading is hard.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to agree with everything said here... the problem is you but rather than beat a dead horse and harp on you some more about it, Im going to answer your question...

Is it better to quit without a job lined up or stay and get fired?

Well it really doesnt matter. Just because you quit before the axe could fall doesnt mean the employer is going to give you a glowing review when asked. For the employer's sake, I hope you quit but for your sake, its not going to impact what the employer thinks of you or influence what they say when contacted by your next employer so why not stick around and collect a paycheck for a few more weeks.

Either way your going to have to answer questions about why you left your previous company. Id rather have a few more weeks of pay in my pocket and on my resume.

But again IT is hard, your work ethic sucks and because of that, the extra time on your resume isnt going to help you land another job.

Grow up. End of story.

P.S. You should attend a remedial English class before your CCNA. You "like enjoy" networking and management has "there eyes" on you, "coming late," "taken days off," "get fire," "make me look bad," et al. ? Did you graduate high school? None of those are correct and they all scream lack of attention to detail which is something required for IT work, especially networking.

P.P.S. You were a field tech, moved to phone support which you realized wasnt for you, moved back to field tech and then realized it wasn't for you? Your first stint as a field tech didn't tell you enough?
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do not quit your job until you have something lined up.. learned this when I was 18yr old. However jobs were easier to come by in the early 90's. I recommend studying for your CCNA while you are working then look for another job after you earn your ccna certification. You can actually fix number 3 just be on time and give it all you got. I rather have something comming in then nothing cumming in. Good luck.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    New2ITinCaliNew2ITinCali Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure everyone has been on a job that they absolutely do not like, and maybe even hate. I'm going through the same thing at this very moment. The only thing that keeps me going is looking at a brighter future and knowing this job isn't forever. One day soon you'll be in the job that you love. Have some patience, do a good job now and it will be beneficial to your future career.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do what you've never done to get what you've never had. Step it up and come to work on time. You are not there for them... You're there for yourself until you find better. Make the most of it. Give it some serious effort and then come back and tell us how much has changed in a month.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think he understands how everything makes him look, but I would just give him what he asked for. If you were in his situation, what would you do? Personally, I'd start working on my CCNA and looking for another job. I would, however, start doing what I need to at work.

Look man, I've been there too. When you're depressed, you hate going to work, you wake up at the last minute possible before you have to hop in the shower to try and make it on time... It sucks. It sucks doing what you hate. Sometimes you just have to work through the hard stuff to get to where you want to be. Look at your current job a little differently. It's helping you live and furthermore it's helping you get whatever education you want for IT.

The change, however, starts with you. Now.

Take care and good luck.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seeing as how you haven't replied to your own thread and you stated "Don't hold any punches", it makes me believe you're trolling here.