Options

Serial to ethernet adapter? Encapsulation?

pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Using two Cisco routers I am trying to acheive this painfully simple setup:

computer <--> Router1 <--serial--> Router2 <--> computer

I just wanna ping from one PC to the other; 3 networks total. Only one router has an ethernet port for an end device. Do I:

A. RJ232 to RJ45 adapter. Crossover cable from router to PC. Change encapsulation on serial interface (is this possible?).

B. Setup a serial connection between the router and a PC? (uh any suggestions on how to do this would be rad)

C. Signal converter, eg. transceiver? (perhaps this is incorrect terminology)

Any help is most appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Firstly when i saw the question i wondered why it was in the CCNP section,then i saw you have your CCNA and CCDP.I'm extremely surprised you are asking this question since your holding these certs.
    Anyway, you need a transciever on the AUI interface which will connect to your PC eth ports on each side.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hm I don't have a CCDP yet (csco10846004, Allan Luchenitser). Anyway, thanks for the tip. That did the trick. I just about forgot that AIU's existed.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    ok...this is going to depend on the routers and their interfaces:

2500's will have the AUI ports that you will have to hook the tranceivers to. If you have 2600 series with ethernet ports, hook the pc straight to the router's ethernet port. Do the same on the other side.

Now hook the two routers together with a DTE / DCE crossover cable. Set the clock rate on the DCE side. (no need to change the default encapsulation). Now set the ip addresses as needed.

Also, don't forget to either put a static route on each of the routers or add a routing protocol.

Good luck.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA