Network Security Career Path?

BrowserBrowser Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there, I am currently working on getting my AS in Computer Science, and I have my A+ Certification. That's basically all I have under my belt currently.

A couple of months ago I was hired at a small data center under the title "Operations Support" but recently I have been promoted to "Technician I". I don't really do anything technical related, mainly ejecting tapes, mounting tapes, making backups etc. If there are problems that come up like a job not running at a correct time, I deal with customers and the network guys to get the problem solved. This job doesn't look like there's any movement up the ladder so to speak, and honestly I would not be very happy to do this for the rest of my life.

I want to work as something to deal with network security eventually and was wondering what I should do next to continue on with my goals. And would this job count as experience when applying for jobs in networking after I get my certifications/bachelors degree or would I just be viewed as a freshly graduated student with no experience? Which certifications should I be working towards as a priority?

Comments

• SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shortest path
    ccent - ccna security - ccnp security
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
  • BrowserBrowser Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Will this job actually benefit me in the future? Or will it just be viewed as a "customer service rep" job basically?
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    shortest path

Shortest path to what? Having a piece of paper?

Browser:

Look for something like a NOC position, you will most likely start out in a monitoring type role. You have to start somewhere and I would recommend you begin to understand how networks function, how packets flow etc. I would advise you to work on R/S studies and circle back later to Security once you have your CCNP R/S

I tell people all the time, how can you secure a network when you have no clue how it functions to begin with? It makes no sense and you would be doing yourself an injustice in chasing paper certifications. There is no "shortest" path, you gaining experience will take time and it will be up to you as to how fast you learn and excel in your career.

Start working on your CCNA, and while you study and make progress hopefully some position will come along that will correlate to your studies. Certifications are supplemental to your actual experience..the cert warriors are what make it possible to move up in the field so fast because they are nothing more than stepping stones to those who are focused on being the best Engineers.

Your current position is just what it is, it was your foot in the door and something to add to your resume. Try to get more responsibilities at your current job, go the extra mile and show you aren't the typical hack that infests the field. If they offer no room for growth, seek a new opportunity.

Good luck
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Recommend you do it in the following order. This is because of ease of study, longevity of the education/credential, and industry recognition.

CCENT - CCNA > ideally here you should get a job as a Level 1 Network Analyst (optional though)
    then
    CCNA Security > Associates Degree in Information Systems > move to a Level 2 role or to a Level 1 Network Security Analyst in the industry.
    then
    Bachelors Degree in Information Systems (w/focus in Network Security if available) > CISSP.

This is just my personal recommendation as I am not an IT career advice professional. However I suggest it in this order as the certs give you flexibility when studying for it and stairstepping to an Associates, then Bachelors in IT gives you a concrete IT education foundation that does not expire. Good hunting!!
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+