Options

Note Taking

pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
I don’t know if I’m just old school, or have a photographic memory, but I can’t remember a thing that I type into OneNote, and I use it for everything! I can however recall almost word for word how notes are arranged on paper (I use different colors, and styles as visual queues). So I take hand written notes, and use OneNote for archival purposes, but it’s almost useless for me while I’m studying. Anybody else have recall problems with typed words? I’m guessing it’s due to typing text as a function, and not actually paying attention to the words and concepts. It’s too much like I’m at work :D
CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Studies have shown that writing things out over typing them helps you remember, and learn better. From what I remember reading up on this it is thought to be because using your hand to draw out letters engages the brain more than simply selecting a letter on a keyboard which allows you to absorb the information better.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, that makes sense. I also have a background in technical drafting/architecture – so I think it’s much easier for me to focus on the act of writing. I also keep a graph paper notebook on my desk at work and “doodle” info on it constantly – and I sometimes take pics of the pages and post them to OneNote rather than typing the info in.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I take ridiculous amounts of notes, I wonder if I overkill it at times, as my notepad is almost a transcript of whatever video I am watching by the end. Even if I wrote the command or concept in previous notes, I always write them down again if it seems important, which ends up being 95% of every video.

So a 1 hour video easily can turn into 2 hours with note taking, sometimes more : / it is my curse!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At Network I do both :) I hand write my notes then transfer those to a to do word table I have in a document I built out. It seems to help a lot to do it that way for me.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the same problem as you @pitviper. I remember things so much more when I hand write them. I did try the whole OneNote/Evernote note taking, however I experienced the same problem as you.