How to find entry level web developer jobs?

Web DeveloperWeb Developer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I am recent graduate and have knowledge of PHP , ASP.net, MySQL, HTML ,CSS and Javascript. After graduation I am now looking for a web developer role but each time I apply for a role matching my skills, I got rejected before even get an interview call. I think the reason is companies are looking for my previous work. But the problem is I don't have any experience and don't know what to show them. They need previous examples. SHould I build some cool websites using wordpress to show them //how can I show them my coding skills. I haven't joined any forum before and haven't done any discussions or project online. I had only academic experience.I had worked on assignments and all that. They need some live examples.What kind of portfolio should I made, I will buy some domains and start working on them to build portfolio? What should I do? How to bag an entry level job as a web developer? How??icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You need to develop a portfolio to show off your experience. I would stay away from WordPress because of all the themes available today it would be hard to show true dev skills by just slapping together a theme. You will also need to decide if you want to be a front end dev or a back end dev.

For front end you will want a single domain portfolio with some examples of work. Volunteer to rework community websites (church, library, local coffee shop) for free. They won't turn you down if it doesn't cost them anything and it allows you to build experience.

For back end you might need a few domains with small web apps to show your coding chops. GitHub is critical in bagging a back end dev job these days. Contribute to open source projects, fork other projects and make pull requests, etc.

Unfortunately with so many people learning to code these days getting a job won't happen over night...it will take some time to build up a portfolio and be able to show some experience in the field; but it is the fastest way to a web dev job.
  • JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Start by offering to do websites for free, once you've done one or two of those, offer to make websites for small business for cheap, and set up a website for yourself where people can find out about your work and request your services. Once you have some work with your name on it, apply for full time gigs again, or keep running your business if it's working out well for you.
  • bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    I'm glad you brought up this question, as my son will be starting college in August with the goal of becoming a web developer. He as solid working knowledge of Dreamweaver and some programming experience form high school. He's currently looking into a two year college, and that concerns me that he won't have a four year degree.

Good luck in your quest! :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
    In the Web Dev / Web Design world I find that it is more about experience than degrees. By all means I'd push for a 4 yr degree, but don't think that even with a 2 year degree he won't do well. Portfolios and experience in the field with different technologies will make or break you in for this field.
  • bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for your input, NightShade! I'm feeling better about his chances already :)
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    In the Web Dev / Web Design world I find that it is more about experience than degrees. By all means I'd push for a 4 yr degree, but don't think that even with a 2 year degree he won't do well. Portfolios and experience in the field with different technologies will make or break you in for this field.

I'm going actually disagree with this. Those Computer Science degrees in development land are actually very relevant for people in that age demographic.

Take the 2 year (Associates?) degree and transfer into a Bachelor's program.
    Polynomial wrote: »
    I'm going actually disagree with this. Those Computer Science degrees in development land are actually very relevant for people in that age demographic.

That's a fair point. I guess I should have said that 4 yr degrees are important and relevant, but I've seen people do amazing things without them (although I still highly advocate getting a 4 yr degree if possible).
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Yeah, I agree with that NightShade.

CompSci is just so damn competitive. At the age of 21/22 a degree is just so important when going for those entry level development jobs.
    Polynomial wrote: »
    CompSci is just so damn competitive. At the age of 21/22 a degree is just so important when going for those entry level development jobs.

Here Here icon_cheers.gif
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In the end experience can come from anywhere. Do create at least five websites for "fictitious" businesses that you could use as examples of various work you did in each area of web development. For instance, if the market needs XML skillsets then discuss how you used XML in one of the sites to achieve that objective. on and on. you get my drift.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+