Options

70-489 Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Advanced Solutions Study Notes

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm planning on taking this exam soon so I am going to start posting my notes here. I also have them in a OneNote book that I will share via this thread once it's a little more complete. Microsoft is currently offering a 3-for-1 voucher on the MCSD tracks, it's good through May, 2014.

In every section you will find links to PluralSight videos. I am not affiliated with them but I find their material to be exceptionally helpful.

Download the MOC companion material from the MS site. These, combined with Azure or some VMs, can really help by showing some demo code for example labs.

Developing SharePoint Server Advanced Solutions Jump Start
I could not find this on the MVA site. I'm not sure why. The Jump Start for the "core solutions" exam is on the MVA, though.

General Print Study Material

Inside Microsoft SharePoint 2013 - This is a must have reference for every SharePoint developer or admin.

Microsoft SharePoint 2013 Developer Reference - This is a really good book, especially for a .NET developer who is new to SharePoint. It was a lot less helpful for this exam than it was for the 488 but still a very good reference.

SharePoint 2013 Branding and User Interface Design - Not specifically related tot he exam... but if you plan on doing any UI customization, this is an excellent starting point. I've owned the previous editions as well.

70-489 Study Guide - Developing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Advanced Solutions - I am reading this now. I cannot official recommend it as I have not gotten all the way through yet.

Update:
On the first of March, 2014 I passed the exam with 781. I have included my thoughts on preparing for an taking the exam on my blog. I did poorly on the BCS topic, so even though I have not included any of my BCS notes on this site yet, I will be doing so shortly as that is going to be a topic of professional importance to me and as I apparently do not have as much of a handle on it as I thought, I am going to spend 3 days really focusing on the topic.

Comments