Virtual Box Lab setup help.

Mkiniry9600Mkiniry9600 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I am setting up a server environment in Virtual Box to do labs with. I am using Windows server 2008 R2 and have it set up on my computer within virtual box. Now I want to connect Windows 7 clients that are also within virtual box but they are on a different computer. I need to set this up so that the server does not mess with my home network because there are other people on it. I don't care if people can see it or access the shares that are set up, all I care about is that it wont mess anything up on the home network.

The computer that is hosting Windows Server 2008 R2 is just not strong enough to handle more the one Virtual Box. That is why I need to use my other computer to host the clients. I also can not add the Server to the computer that is holding the clients because that would be to much for that machine.

I have been researching but have not come across to much other then setting up a networking in virtual box that has all the clients and servers on the same host computer.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. How do you give reputation to people that help.
WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration: Start Date June 1 2014 |Transferred | In Progress | Required | Completed|
UBT1, ABV1, EBV1, DHV1, EAV1 | ORA1, WFV1, AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, EUP1, EUC1, CUV1, TJC1, TJP1, TCP1
CJC1, BVC1, C278, UBC1, IWC1, IWT1, CRV1, CDC1, CDP1, CTV1,C277, AHV1, C298, MGC1, AIV1, TPV1, BNC1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1

Comments

• prampram Member Posts: 171
    IIRC you're going to have to use the bridged adapter. This should allow your virtual machines to get a DHCP address from your home router, and then you can connect to them normally. You could also just use port forwarding with the NAT setting, depends on what you're planning on doing.

It's under the network settings for your VM

eIB9IfU.png

The difference between NAT and bridged is: with NAT, VirtualBox acts as the router/DHCP server and handles the connection from your real network. In bridged it attaches the VM to your real network adapter
  • Mkiniry9600Mkiniry9600 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I got what you are getting at pram. But to let you know and anyone else I am using this set up to use active directory and connect clients to the the server. I am using the lab book for 70-685 test to get better acquainted with setting up a domain structure.
    WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration: Start Date June 1 2014 |Transferred | In Progress | Required | Completed|
    UBT1, ABV1, EBV1, DHV1, EAV1 | ORA1, WFV1, AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, EUP1, EUC1, CUV1, TJC1, TJP1, TCP1
    CJC1, BVC1, C278, UBC1, IWC1, IWT1, CRV1, CDC1, CDP1, CTV1,C277, AHV1, C298, MGC1, AIV1, TPV1, BNC1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    To be honest I think the easiest solution is creating a VLAN
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I somehow manage to drop the wireless network completely for all devices when I bridge the WLAN on my laptop, as it's for some reason necessary to get to the login page of the CUCM web interface.

Weird thing is I actually drop the wireless network so no other devices can connect, until I reset the wireless router, reeeeally odd.