Options

Newbie needs some direction

dublatedublate Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I first just want to say that this forum is incredibly knowledgeable. Im a newbie just starting out and I need some advice. Im pursuing a computer science degree in school but I also want a job in my field thats going to help me get experience. I want to get a job in my area thats centered around linux system administration. These are some of the things that it requires:Performing password resets, Active Directory, and Linux account administration, etc. They cant find a person for the job because not that many people know linux for a help desk job. Do you think that I can conquer the task and learn linux within a reasonable amount of time to learn or is that too much of a learning curve. Should I get certifications first before the job, since I have no experience whatsoever in the technology field? Also, since I have no experience in the tech field thats really not helping me in putting together a resume. If you were mentoring me what would you suggest? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dublate wrote: »
    Hi. I first just want to say that this forum is incredibly knowledgeable. Im a newbie just starting out and I need some advice. Im pursuing a computer science degree in school but I also want a job in my field thats going to help me get experience. I want to get a job in my area thats centered around linux system administration. These are some of the things that it requires:Performing password resets, Active Directory, and Linux account administration, etc. They cant find a person for the job because not that many people know linux for a help desk job. Do you think that I can conquer the task and learn linux within a reasonable amount of time to learn or is that too much of a learning curve. Should I get certifications first before the job, since I have no experience whatsoever in the technology field? Also, since I have no experience in the tech field thats really not helping me in putting together a resume. If you were mentoring me what would you suggest? Thanks.

Is this your first year? you can get some certs while you are getting your degree. look for internships. you might have to work in a computer repair shop for free so you can get some experience...
  • Options
    101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dublate wrote: »
    Do you think that I can conquer the task and learn linux within a reasonable amount of time to learn or is that too much of a learning curve.

This will depend on the effort you put into it, but yes a basic level of Linux/Unix knowledge can be achived in a fairly short time (1-3 Months). I would recommend you grab a CompTIA Linux+ study guide, your Linux flavor of choice, and get cracking. I recommend the Linux+ as it is distro agnostic, it can be completed in fairly short order and by passing the Linux+ you can nab the LPIC-1 and Novell Certified Linux Administrator certifications for free.

See CompTIA Partnership | Linux Professional Institute (LPI) for more info. Free stuff is awesome. :D

After the Linux+ you can look into more advanced/focused certs like the RedHat offerings that will likely provide more bang for the buck, but will require more time invested to acquire. Or switch it up and look into Windows Server or Virtualization certs. The other offerings from CompTIA (A+, Network+ and Security+) are also an option to give you a well rounded technical foundation.

I will also second nestech's suggestion to seek out work at a local repair shop for a few semesters/summers. These places tend to be fairly flexible where your school schedule is concerned, and it will give you something to put on the resume that will verify your technical and customer service (more important for those entry level IT jobs than most people realize) experiance.

It seems from your post that you may have your eye on an open possition right now. If that is the case, it may not be a bad idea to work up a resume/cover-letter, post it in the IT Jobs/Degrees forum for review, and throw your hat in the ring for the position. Worst case, you dont get a call and are left with a polished resume that you can update with all your new shiny certs and experiance. Best case, you get a call, you get some interview experience and the interviewer is so impressed by your enthusiasm/attitude/willingness to learn, that they offer you the position/internship anyways. :)
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I wish I'd done some MCP exams whilst at university instead of waiting till afterwards.

I self study everything, so if you are like me then try it! You've nothing to lose by trying some more study, just be aware that you do not burn yourself out. That can be easy - depends on how your college work is going. I didn't find it too stressful so I could easily have done so.
  • Options
    dublatedublate Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im going to school part time so I definitely have time to study. I guess Ill start with Linux+ and I guess Ill move up from there. Ill get the linux+ study guide because I really want this job. Also, I have no clue of what to put on my resume. Ive mostly done sales to advertisers and stuff like that. I have no technical experience. I troubleshoot computers sometimes for people but that cant be listed as any type of 'experience'. Do you guys think that I should pay a professional resume service?
  • Options
    izatt82izatt82 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure to put down your customer service exp. A lot of IT guys do not speak well to others you might have the leg up.

Also I am the type to throw myself in the fire. I know that learning style doesn't work for everyone, but it fits my personality type.
    What I am trying to say is don't be scared to fail. The best lessons I have learned over the years are from mistakes.

Virtual machines on a laptop or something else are your friends. build your own domain. setup a file server, setup a reverse proxy server on linux, anything is possible and IMO that type of experience goes a lot further that just a cert. VM's are also a great way to study for certs.