Options

My next certification?

Atmosphere1991Atmosphere1991 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I will be finishing my ccna in the next couple months. I was wondering what certs I should start working towards next. I have no professional experience in IT. I'm not sure exactly what specifically I want to do either. So far I really like the networking thing, and security seems pretty interesting to. Any thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    What do you do for a living? Do you work with Cisco technology everyday?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Atmosphere1991,
    I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. I had certs and no experience, and was thinking of what cert to get next. My advice would be to concentrate on getting real world experience. What you do at work will help you determine which cert to go after next. If you keep going after certs and do not apply the skills you have learned you will eventually end up forgetting it. I think after your CCNA you will find you will start getting interview opportunities, however they may not be in networking...
  • Options
    Atmosphere1991Atmosphere1991 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No I'm still in school, I use to manage a restaurant. That's the only "real" job I've ever had. I'm server at the same restaurant now, grinding my way through school. Hoping to get an IT job soon, looking at desktop and help desk stuff currently.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not try and find an internship?
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    No I'm still in school, I use to manage a restaurant. That's the only "real" job I've ever had. I'm server at the same restaurant now, grinding my way through school. Hoping to get an IT job soon, looking at desktop and help desk stuff currently.

Get your CCNA and sit tight, once you find something then you start certifying yourself. CCNA should hopefully get your foot in the door somewhere. Once in the door, that's all up to you.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?