Small IT job help?

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
OK so I am setting up a small business with a NAS so they can store scanned documents, which is basically all they will be using it for, but it will be A LOT of documents. They have 5 computers running windows 7. They want the NAS to be reliable and as future proof as possible, and to be able to backup the files in case a hdd fails. Pretty much they want to be sure none of their documents will ever fail. What are some good NAS in the market right now? They didn't really specify a budget so much as the features I noted above.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• fifrascofifrasco Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what's the budget like?
  • fifrascofifrasco Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've had great success with a Qnap TS-569 Pro storage system for a little department.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't comment on the make or model of a NAS but if you want to back up the data on the NAS, look at Amazon Web Services Glacier backup. It's slow but it's dirt cheap (like 1 cent a GB).
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have had very good experiences with Synology DS1513+ and DS1813+ in the small business space. Budget and requirements will help determine the hardware.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have a LaCie 1TB drive for our home. I think it'd be great for a small office. Their customer support alone is aces. When mine went down during a major outage and got corrupted, they replaced it free of charge and I got it in 2 days.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As others have said, budget is the key element. Synology devices are definitely highly regarded in that space. Finally, make sure they understand nothing is 100% safe, secure, or reliable.
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    As others have said, budget is the key element. Synology devices are definitely highly regarded in that space. Finally, make sure they understand nothing is 100% safe, secure, or reliable.

Well shebsaid there really is no budget, and like you said I told her nothing is 100% but she wants to get close to it as possible. Also will the NAS for instance if I get a 4 bay one with 1TB hdd with raid 5..can they later switch the hdds to 2 tb for instance?
    Any decent device should allow you to increase capacity in that manner. The better devices in that space are SAN/NAS and have multiple forms of connectivity including iSCSI which can improve functionality.
    Thanks, Tom

Any decent device should allow you to increase capacity in that manner. The better devices in that space are SAN/NAS and have multiple forms of connectivity including iSCSI which can improve functionality.

What would you guys also suggest be the best RAID setup?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What I did at a former job, (since the budget was almost nill), was to get a RAID enclosure)to accommodate 5 hard drives..hook it up to a spare machine. It was less than $300 to do.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    pixa241 wrote: »
    What would you guys also suggest be the best RAID setup?

For redundancy, probably RAID 10 or 50 plus some form of off-site synchronization. Again, it depends on the budget and requirements of the client. Without that information it is difficult to make an informed recommendation.
    Thanks, Tom

For redundancy, probably RAID 10 or 50 plus some form of off-site synchronization. Again, it depends on the budget and requirements of the client. Without that information it is difficult to make an informed recommendation.

Yeah they dont really have a budget, they just want something that works. They will only store documents in black and white,which will be its main use as of right now.
    Well then I would go with a Synology DS1513+, hard drives that get you the capacity you want in RAID 10 or 50 and a gigabit switch that supports link agrigation for the 4gb ports on the Synology. :)
    Thanks, Tom

Well then I would go with a Synology DS1513+, hard drives that get you the capacity you want in RAID 10 or 50 and a gigabit switch that supports link agrigation for the 4gb ports on the Synology. :)

Exaclty what I sent her. Thanks for the advice guys!