Short term contracts with a family

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm curious if anyone here takes short term contracts when they have a family. By short term I'm referring to anything less than a year.

I have a decent opportunity for a really nice job but the project is expected to finish in September (7 months from now). Being the sole source of income, I can't see where losing the safety of a stable (3 year contract) job for a better-paying more-opportunity relocation-required job is a good bet.

Am I playing it too conservative, or are my concerns of the potential loss of income in 7 months valid? I keep looking back at it and everything except the duration looks to be a REALLY nice move.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I wish I had an answer for this because I have a family and went from a perm job that is relocating (so was going to lose my job anyway ) to a contract to hire but let me chime in.

I have my regrets and I have my positives for taking a job that I don't know if what will come after. The only thing I can say is if you think you can find work again, even if another contract before that one is up and you feel this is best then go for it. The just make sure you have constant income because you need to do what is best for your family.

That is my opinion because any decision you make affects more than only you so if you feel this will benefit your career and your family then do what your heart and gut says. If you have doubts then maybe think of holding off for now as stability is always good.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Oh yeah my bill rate for a 3 month contract was great. 40% more than I would of made as an FTE. I paid off a credit card with a relatively high interest rate during that time. I kept applying and lined something up right afterwards. FTE and a lot less money. ***I was in the area still.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I would take it but put away all excess income. I would then begin searching for work a few months prior to the expiration of the contract. Even if I did not get anything within a few months, I would be able to live off of the excess I saved to be able to hold out another 3 or 4 months until I could once again become employed.

The only reason I would take it is because you described it as having a "more-opportunity" quality; otherwise, I see no other reason to take it since it could, theoretically, not supply any additional income.