Options

In need of some quick SQL help

taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
Hello everyone.

I'm needing to disable the automatic database backups that SQL is doing of it's databases. We have another backup solution that we try to run nightly differential backups with but since the databases are backing themselves up it's causing the backup software to run full backups nightly.

Can anyone tell me how to disable this within SQL Management Studio? If it's not done through SMS then is there another way to do it?

I found where I can edit the type of backup and some other options for the databases but I don't see a way to actually disable them.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,
A guy with slim to none SQL experience...

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It all depends on how they are being done. If they were set up with native SQL Server stuff you will see jobs under the SQL Server agent. If you don't have the agent, you don't have the correct rights. If you can find the agent job, you can right click on it and choose 'disable'. If it's in other software, you'll need to find it.

You can download and install sp_who3 to see who is doing what on your sql server (including backups). Depending on your needs and recovery model, one backup daily may or may not be sufficient.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EDIT: I totally posted that on the wrong thread...