Layer 2 QOS query (Cisco)

masterkmasterk Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Just wondered if i could get some feedback on how some of you would approach this scenario?

Layer 2 link with ethernet handoff has been provided by WAN service provider, which is 20MB. This connects two sites in different geographical areas.

I intend to use this as a trunk link carrying 5 vlan's for a project. I will put a gigabit switch at each end of the link and create the vlan's on these switches.

The WAN service provider has said that we will need to perform some QOS/Packet Shaping on this link, because if we try and send over 20MB/s over the link we will have big latency and packet loss issues. Effectively i am connecting a gigabit switch port to a 20MB link.

Million dollar question is, what technology can i use to perform this shaping so no more than 20MB/sec can traverse this link, and also how can i prioritize the traffic of one particular vlan so that its data always gets through?

Am i going to need a higher end catalyst switch for this purpose with an advanced feature set? LLQ SRR etc?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Traffic shaping/policing?
  • masterkmasterk Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Gorebrush, i presumed i am going to need to be shaping or policing this traffic. What i am trying to work out is what technology i am going to need to do it.

I.e which catalyst switches support this at L2 and which feature sets or IOS version i am going to need.....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What device are you using? That will determine what options you will have.

Edit: Looks like you don't have a device already. Pretty much all of the catalyst line will give you some SRR shape options.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.