Options

Legit way to get several Windows 7 upgrades

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am volunteering at a community center that has a computer lab, where I am helping out with system maintenance. They have about 6 Windows Vista machines with Intel i2 and 2 gb ram. I have two questions. One: would it be a good idea to upgrade these machines to Windows 7; or can these machines even handle Windows 7. Secondly, if these machines can handle Windows 7, are there any legit ways I get product keys for them. The community center has no money for this and they are fighting to keep their doors open, so I need to make everything happen without money.

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Vista is fine to be honest.

Just run as much maintenance as you can on these PCs.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What is driving the upgrade? Any issues with Vista? I don't see any legal way other than someone donating the licenses. You may score something legit off eBay for cheap but free, that's hard.

Also, what memory type do those use? Since they are old some us us may have RAM we can give away.
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    If the community center is considered a non-profit, try TechSoup. They get donations from Microsoft and such, and resell them to non-profits dirt cheap!
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1st

You need to check the serial numbers for each of these devices.

Then go to the manufacturers website and see if these devices have drivers available for Windows 7.

However, I agree with the other TE member responses to this post.

Vista is fine as long as you have service pack 2 and at least 2 GB of ram.

During your maintenance... are you doing the following?

Checking to make sure all data that needs to be backed up, is being backed up.

Making sure each device has anti virus protection.

Approving and installing windows updates.

Approving and installing 3rd part updates:

Java, adobe flash player, adobe PDF Reader

Limiting administrator access on each device.

You can take a look at Tech soup, they help non-profits:

What We Do
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If vista runs on the computers then windows 7 will probably run better on the computers. Also if they happen to be Dell computers then you can use 1 oem cd to install windows on all of the computers. A trick I learned while working for Dell. If it's not then you'd probably have to pay to upgrade those computers and you might as well stick with vista if the company is struggling to keep their doors open.
  • Options
    I am sorry I haven't responded to this. I checked out out Tech Soup and while it is cheap, I don't think they can even can afford $72 for 6 Windows 7 keys. Also I checked out the memory specs and it supports DDR2.
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd stick with Vista until the financial situation is more optimistic. If they were XP we'd have different answers. There's still more life in Vista until Windows 9 (or whatever it will officially be called) comes out late 2015, and by then it might offer better ROI to just buy new Windows 9 computers.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    Well, I haven't actually talked to them about it. I have just assumed they couldn't afford it. I am going to go there in the next couple of weeks (stupid homework!) and talk to them about it. Hell, if they can't afford $72, I may just pay for it myself. That way I can put Windows 7 roll out experience on my resume, right?