Options

Interested in Security, which way to go?

bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
I'm thinking of starting with Net+, then ICND1 and ICND2. After, Sec+ then CCNA Security. I have NO EXPERIENCE with Cisco or security, but am usually a quick learner. Many of you have already shared valuable resources (Professor Messer, Wendell Odom, Todd Lammle).

Any thoughts on if this is a viable path? All recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)
"Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm partway through a similar plan. I did Sec+ first, then Net+ in preparation for CCNA. After a short detour with Microsoft, I'm back in the CCNA saddle and halfway through the CCNA Sec OCG. How familiar are you with TCP/IP, the OSI model, and other basic networking concepts? If you have a passing familiarity, I'd recommend going straight for ICND1 and bypassing Net+ (or getting the Net+ book but not wasting any money on the test). Once you have CCNA, no one is going to care about Net+.

Security+ I would still recommend as a general introduction to the field. CCNA Security is much more granular and will take you through things like configuring ACLs on a router, whereas Security+ will just mention that ACLs are a good thing to have. I would also recommend taking CCNA Security as soon as possible after ICND2; I waited over two months and now I'm having to brush up on my basic IOS again, as I forgot things like how to configure 802.1q trunking and spanning-tree from the CLI. It comes back, but it would have been easier if I hadn't taken that time off.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, the Cisco exams are a different animal than those specific Comptia ones, meaning they are more in depth than the N+. If you wanted to take all those certs I would suggest in this order: Net+, Sec+, ICND1, ICND2, CCNA: Security. The ideology being once you get into the groove of Cisco, you want to bang them out one right after the other while the concepts/commands are still fresh in your mind.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ I like that order as it makes a lot of sense. I did N+, Sec+, ICND1 but then lost interest in Cisco as I got pulled in other direction.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First question - why security out of all things? Second - what area of security? Based on your Network+, Security+, CCNA, and CCNA Security plan, I'm assuming network security.

But "network security" means many different things in this day and age. What is your source of interest for this area?
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    First question - why security out of all things? Second - what area of security? Based on your Network+, Security+, CCNA, and CCNA Security plan, I'm assuming network security.

But "network security" means many different things in this day and age. What is your source of interest for this area?

I've always been interested in security, especially after seeing what cyberattacks have done to companies I've worked for. Not 100% certain which area, but understand that "network security" means different things to different people.
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    Honestly, the Cisco exams are a different animal than those specific Comptia ones, meaning they are more in depth than the N+. If you wanted to take all those certs I would suggest in this order: Net+, Sec+, ICND1, ICND2, CCNA: Security. The ideology being once you get into the groove of Cisco, you want to bang them out one right after the other while the concepts/commands are still fresh in your mind.

Can't argue with your logic, danny. Now that I think about it, the order you presented makes more sense to me. See why I ask you guys for advice? :)
  • Options
    I'm partway through a similar plan. I did Sec+ first, then Net+ in preparation for CCNA. After a short detour with Microsoft, I'm back in the CCNA saddle and halfway through the CCNA Sec OCG. How familiar are you with TCP/IP, the OSI model, and other basic networking concepts? If you have a passing familiarity, I'd recommend going straight for ICND1 and bypassing Net+ (or getting the Net+ book but not wasting any money on the test). Once you have CCNA, no one is going to care about Net+.

I most certainly have to brush up on all the Net+ concepts, as I am well removed from an IT position requiring such knowledge. Thank you for your feedback! :)