Had an interview today

Atmosphere1991Atmosphere1991 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I had a phone interview today, I feel like I totally blew it. I'm pretty sure I was stuttering and sounded like a scared kid I was so nervous. It's my first interview I've had in 4 years, so my skills aren't exactly up to date. Anyway, after about 15 min it was coming to a close and there was an awkward silence, so I asked if he wanted to meet in person. He said yes he would love to surprisingly, and set up a time next Monday. It's for an entry level network technician position, and I have no IT experience at all. It's almost an hour drive from where I'm at currently, so I'm torn. Any advice???

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, I would go to the interview.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go to the interview, if anything it would work great for practice. Go in with confidence and demonstrate your strong points, turn it completely around from the first time.
  • CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definitely go to the interview because it's another opportunity and chance to redeem yourself. You should brush up on your technical and soft skills and you will do just fine.
  • DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go to the interview. I have always found that it is easier to convey ideas and show that you really can do the job in an actually meeting instead of on the phone interview.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An hour drive really isn't that bad considering they may be giving you a shot as a network tech with not IT experience. Seems worth it to me.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with everyone on taking the interview. Just try to relax and do your best. Everyone is nervous during interviews and the interviewer knows this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they want you to come in for a face-to-face interview, that's a good sign! Many employers know that when they're interviewing candidates that they'll be a little nervous. Like others have stated, brush up on your network skills and go in there confident. If you don't get the job, don't take it as a failure, but learn from the experience. And if you get the job, then bonus! Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Think of it this way - had you actually "blew it", he would have said something like, "We will contact you for a face to face".

Way to go! Good luck. Remember, it's only an interview. Not life or death.
  • proph21proph21 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have said, the fact that they want you to come for an in-person interview is a good sign. At the very least, this will be good practice and it could result in you getting the job! Try your best to relax. When I am on interviews, what works for me is to focus on my breathing because I get so nervous sometimes that my hands tremble as a force of habit. Being mindful of my breathing helps keep me present, calm, and allows me to answer questions more carefully without stumbling my words as often.

If you choose to take it, I wish you luck.