Options

Resume Critique~

kin2162kin2162 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just wanted to reach out to the knowledgeable and helpful people on techexams to critique my resume. A little bit about myself- I am 22 years old and a recent college graduate. My degree was in liberal arts but I was always interested in IT so after graduation, I worked part time as a waiter at a local restaurant while studying for Cisco certifications. I got my CCNA very recently and haven been applying to entry-level positions like noc and help desk without much success. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Looking at this resume the first item I notice is that it appears barren. I would work on increasing the body.

Here are some other items I would do:

1. Rename "waiter" to something more professional-sounding.
    2. Create more bullets of position responsibilities under job position.
    3. Work on the summary. I could see where it would turn some employers off. I would begin by changing the word "learning" to something more marketable. It is also too simplistic. I would work on that.
    4. Move the certifications above the education.
    5. Move the job experience to the bottom under education.
    6. Unless there is a high-need for Korean speakers in your area, I would remove the fluency in Korean. It could do you more harm than good by keeping it there.
    7. Alter name (JOHN SMITH) from all uppercase to lowercase characters.

I also note that I do not see "proof" of your Office experience anywhere in your resume. Some employers will question this. How did you obtain the proficiency? Generally, your skills section should be "proven" by education/experience. I would at least not have it as the primary bullet if I could not show how I obtained the proficiency. I would likely move it to last position because of this.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Here are my recommendations:

Skills
    List language as: Foreign Language - Korean Fluent (This may not get you any hits here in the US, however in South Korean there are tech positions
    that require solid skills of English/Korean)

Change Applicable Skills to Skills

Remove Windows Office

Rewrite "Experience with building, maintaining and troubleshooting personal computers"

Rewrite "Solid understanding of OSI Model and TCP/IP Protocols"

IP Addressing, Subnetting and VLANs. What about it? What type of knowledge and experience do you have here? Need more information.

Rewrite "Experience with Cisco Network Simulation Software Packet Tracer"

Rewrite "Solid customer service skills in listening, understanding needs and solving and surpassing customer's expectations"

I would put education towards the top of the resume and add your certs under skills as well.

Also don't put Sociology in brackets for your degree.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown