Options

Current running services on Linux server

KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
I would like to find out what services (all of them as opposed to a specific service) are currently running (or enabled to run if needed) on my Linux server (CentOS) and what other services, if any they rely on (i.e. should also be running).

I would like to create a script for this (and should be okay on this part), but would appreciate some guidance as to how to ensure I get everything.

For starters, would all services be under the control of either inetd or xinetd, or would I be missing some?

I'd appreciate help on what to use (e.g. chkconfig, service) to ensure I get a list of all services.

Thanks,
Kenneth.

Comments

• Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    chkconfig shows what will be started automatically at different runlevels. Other than that you could just use 'ps faux' to see whats running. This will show all the processes, daemons, and their threads.

xinetd can control daemons that require external network access like telnet, rsync, ftp. I only see it used for niche purposes these days, generally its just easier to make rules with iptables.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Or actually just run this

for i in /etc/init.d/*; do $i status; done | grep -i running