Options

A good sign ? *UPDATE* Job offer Made - Need Advice

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well, I had a job interview yesterday for a Network Administrator position at a software development company. I felt good during the interview, I answered their questions well, but there were a few areas they were looking for that I have no experience in. Namely: VoIP, Installing applications for clients over a network using the MSI, and Cisco switch experience.

Of course I knew I did not have these skills and was honest and told them I had no experience using any of that stuff. Today they called and asked for my MCP number and told me they were going to check my references. So I'm wondering how my chances would be to get this job. I was thinking that if they were not interested at all they wouldn't even have called, but nonetheless it is exciting anyways. This would be a step up from my current position, which I really like but unfortunately doesn't pay enough money. So, from other experts here, is this a good sign that I might get the job? My references are rock solid so at least I know they won't let me down. Only time will tell icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think if their going to that much trouble, it's a really good sign. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    Sounds awesome. Now, what you should do is make sure you get your CCNA to let them know that you are so enthusiastic about the job.. you were studying in the interim hoping to pick up the skills you need to fulfill their job needs.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I wish you the best :D
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Get the job and go buy the books... Nothing is better for learning than trial by fire. icon_twisted.gif

Good luck.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Definately don't give up. At least now, you've got a guideline on what you need to learn. As mentioned, go pick up the books on what they're asking for, learn as much as you can, and don't give up until they've actually told you "no". The worst that'll happen, you'll be that much closer to either MCSE or CCNA, (or both,) and you'll have experience with those topics for the next interview.

I'm not much help on the Cisco topics and VoIP, (probably best to go with the Cisco folks there, too,) but I do have a good resource for MSI deployment. This is the Microsoft article I used when I set up Group Policy software deployment for my work,and for my class:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887405

It has an example deployment outline, and some pretty good links for general GPO and deployment topics. Also, check out TechNet for help on the individual topics.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the nice words. Hopefully I will get the job. I plan to finish my MCSA first and then hopefully the MCSE and then I will definitely move into the Cisco stuff. I think I will go ahead and get the books and at least become familiar with all the content. I can afford the equipment and all that, just need some time to do it all.

Thanks again :D
  • Options
    silver_225silver_225 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely a good sign. Employers don't go through the trouble of checking references and other information if you are not in serious consideration.

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    Well they contacted me and made a job offer. I was a little disappointed but I understand it is because I do not have experience (Even though they did not say it).

So here is the offer:

Starting Salary: $30k
    15% raise after 90 days.*
    Full benefits after 45 days.
    3 weeks paid vacation per year.

*Based on if I am willing to complete MCSE certification in 6 months (I only have 270 done).

Currently I make $14/hr so the pay is not that much more at all. Only like .40 more an hour. icon_cry.gif

So that's it. I am going to make a counter offer on just the starting salary. Any recommendations or tips on going about doing this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    How large is the company? How many admins are on staff? At any rate it def sounds like a counter offer is in order.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would ask for at least 34k so they may give you 32k and have a pay update planned (IN WRITING) once your mcse is completed. i would also have training funds available to get you up to speed on the other areas that you are weak in.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will they help you with the costs of any exams or materials?
  • Options
    hanakuin wrote:
    How large is the company? How many admins are on staff? At any rate it def sounds like a counter offer is in order.

The company is local to Oregon and Chicago and has clients spread throughout the 50 states and Puerto Rico. The job I am being considered for is the only Admin on site and administers about 18 servers according to my interview.
    keenon wrote:
    i would ask for at least 34k so they may give you 32k and have a pay update planned (IN WRITING) once your mcse is completed. i would also have training funds available to get you up to speed on the other areas that you are weak in.

I was thinking of counter offering with 32k given my experience not being totally what they were looking for. Do you think if I ask for 32 they will counter with 31? I think that's just a pain icon_lol.gif
    Definitely the pay increase after MCSE completion is very important and it is in writing to this point.

Yes they will cover the cost of the exams. I don't know about the training materials, I have most of them already, but if they can cover the cost of some Transcender prep software that would be nice. They also told me that I would be able to study during downtime on my shift.
  • Options
    silver_225silver_225 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I think if you counter with 32k, they'll come back with 31k, which almost seems picky. But, then again the more you get up front will only increase your total salary after 90 days. I would also go for 34k. Whatever you end up with, I think this will be a great learning experience that will be valuable on your resume, especially with the areas you have no prior experience with.

My question is the 6 months to complete the MCSE cert. You have one course down, but another 5 to go. I know along with working my normal work week and other things outside of work (yes I try to have a life), it would be hard for me to complete in 6 months.

Good luck and congrats on the offer!
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    Make sure you _can_ complete MCSE in 6 months. As you are 6 exams short, it will be a tough ride.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't be too hasty with a counter offer. If they are paying for your MCSE and giving you an increase after 90 days I think thats pretty fair. After your MCSE you can talk about pay but from a company point of view they wouldn't really feel great about paying you more, plus it sounds like good experience, you wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity. They could probably get someone in at the rate they want to pay, especially if you don't match all their skills
  • Options
    Well just wanted to update.

The company accepted the 32k salary start and I start in exactly 2 weeks from todays' date.

Now I have to go to work today to tell my current employer that I am moving on. Not looking forward to it, I'm not sure why but I feel guilty by leaving, but it is just time to move on to bigger and better things.

Thanks for all that gave me advice about my situation. Good luck to everyone looking for better jobs.
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What size of a city do you live in?

I was just curious, because that seems to be a pretty low salary for the work they want you to do. I'm not saying you should refuse it by any means, and of course it's just a stepping stone, but living in Denver I know salaries are much higher.

Then again, perhaps the cost of living is double icon_wink.gif
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    skully93 wrote:
    What size of a city do you live in?

I was just curious, because that seems to be a pretty low salary for the work they want you to do. I'm not saying you should refuse it by any means, and of course it's just a stepping stone, but living in Denver I know salaries are much higher.

Then again, perhaps the cost of living is double icon_wink.gif

Hi there. The city I live in has a population of about 75,000 people. With surrounding cities north or south 7 miles the total population would be around 150,000 people. Cost of living in Oregon is not nearly as high as in most other areas around the US. Actually, for having virtually no Network Admin experience I received a good salary imo. Yes, with experience it is too low, but I look at it as a good long term investment.

After three months I will be making over $19/hr which is more money than I have ever made at any job. I'm only 25 so this is a big step for me, and hopefully when I'm 30 I will be making a decent amount of money. This is also a big heads up to how important experience is. Yes, education + certs can get you a good job, but the experience will really put you over the hump of a bigger paycheck.

Giving my two-week notice wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either ... everyone understands that whatever is better for your family is all that counts. :D
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great!

And that salary for a mid-sized city is great. Plus, like you said, experience is key! I started in IT when I was 26, and am now 29, and even though I don't think I got treated fairly my first couple of years, I couldnt' be where I am now without that experience.

I was unfortunately terminated from my last job because I lacked the network experience that the position grew into. But there are no hard feelings about it, and I'm temping for $18-$25 an hour, which is awesome experience that pays the bills well enough to ride out the gaps.

Good luck!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think that's a pretty good salary. Like you said, nothing can replace experience. Especially since this is probably not the job you'll be retiring from when you're sixty, this is a good step. Keep on pushing for those certs, and any education you can get, and you might just find it surprising how much money you're offered for the next job you happen across, a year or two, (or five) down the road.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.