Options

Is there any other jobs in IT not relating to customer Support?

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
Are there any other jobs out there that doesn't involve customer face to face or constant phone communication support, because sometimes i get a feeling that some of the customer problems in IT are easy to solve but a client can make it difficult for you to help him\her. I really love this career on the technical perspective but i am too sure on the client side support, I love everything about it like, working in teams working with different technologies and it has continuity in terms of growing your opportunities. Its the kind of job that you wouldn't mind working after hours not because you want to get paid for it but because you would love to.

So are there any jobs where you can work with Microsoft technology with no client constant support, if so, what are the minimum requirements for those kind of jobs?

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely! They're all around. Most are usually in the engineering/managerial side of IT. Network engineers, security analysts, development, etc. These are all jobs that, depending on the company, all should have little customer-facing interaction. Most "support" jobs are defined as assisting others, engineering focuses on creating, managing, and implementing these technologies.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If there were not non-customer facing roles I certainly would be finding a new career myself. I As MSP-IT pointed out there are plenty positions out there, but a lot of them require some prior experience in the lower level support positions.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    How many years of experience would those position require and what is the significance of having experience in those lower level position?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Speaking from the networking point of view, supporting customers is valuable experience because you are troubleshooting and getting your hands in the CLI. Troubleshooting really gets you into the protocols and understanding how things work and the pitfalls of certain designs. This is all valuable when you move up to the next step of being more on the engineering side. You know how things are supported and can therefore implement better designed networks for both the customers and the people that will have their hands in it troubleshooting.

How many years really depends on the person. Some people learn quicker than others. Some people are better at selling the experience they have.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT by it's very nature is a service function so there will always be customers whether they are internal organizational customers or external customers. In the organizations that I've worked for - it's usually the larger enterprises where IT staffers are shielded from external customers. Usually there are dedicated technical account managers or if the client is important, the technical management is handled by someone in a senior technical role.

In my experience, the most common role where IT staffers aren't interacting with customers directly tend to software development and software engineering roles. Usually customer interaction is done by product managers or technical managers.

As I mentioned, there are internal customers as well - especially in larger enterprises. I suspect that internal customers are probably tougher to deal with.
  • Options