Options

Which job to take...

beaucaldwellbeaucaldwell Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I'm an odd position here and am not sure what to do. I applied for an internal transfer at my last company back in September knowing layoffs were coming. I had my first interview the morning I got layed off. The job I applied for I eventually received an offer for (pending clearance approval), I relocated at my own expense from San Diego to LA. My start date kept getting pushed back because of gov't shutdown last year and eventually I got a call from a recruiter and took that job cause I had to start working. Well this morning I got a voicemail and email stating my clearance finally went through (I had to jump through lots of hoops for this) and that I just need to retake my drug test and I can start immedietly. Here are the pro's and con's.

Current job I'm at:
Disney Production Studios (doing general deskside support)
I'm a contractor, likely to get pulled on to Disney directly or to Xerox after like 9months, but I'm like 2nd/3rd in line...
No medical benefits
$24/hr
Long commute (32miles each way)
9:30am-6:30pm (I don't like these hours as I have no time in the evening after traffic for me)
My skills are way under-utilized and it's not quite enterprise environment like im used to
I do get a lot of time to study here though, some networking equipment to tinker with
Some nice perks for disney stores and such, if i get pulled on its free disney annual pass...

Job I was suppose to work that I just got the clearance approved on:
TSA (Federal Air Marshall Field Office support)- Being the 1 onsite person running the desktop support show, manager offiste
$25/hr
Short commute (12 miles each way)
I can pick my hours (come in anytime between 6am-8am, gives me time in the evenings to do what i want)
some occassional travel (yay!)
Public Trust Clearance (yay! as i would like to get into security, this is a great stepping stone)
keep my 2.5years of tenure...
full medical, 401k, PTO, etc. that starts right away

I'm just real hesitant to leave Disney... that's my concern.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I would take the other job.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why are you hesitant to leave Disney? From the way you describe it and list the pros/cons it's pretty obvious you'd prefer the TSA job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Why are you hesitant to leave Disney? From the way you describe it and list the pros/cons it's pretty obvious you'd prefer the TSA job.
    well disney is pretty awesome and i doubt ill get this opportunity again. The perks once I'm an actually disney employee vs. contractor are pretty sweet. it's been up and down about this other job for awhile and it all finally came through, i just hate to get here and bail after 2.5 months...
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    The heck with Disney..aren't they in the middle of layoffs anyway? They would not hesitate to lay you off. Take the other job.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    this other gig could easily lead to international jobs down the line too... lots of room to internally transfer, especially DoD stuff
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I used to work for SAIC/Leidos (I think of the pizza place when I write/say that). It is a good company to work for. Go for it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    I used to work for SAIC/Leidos (I think of the pizza place when I write/say that). It is a good company to work for. Go for it.
    they were pretty good when i worked for them, the specific contract I was on however was horrifying... Gave them the call and gave them the green light.. in the long run this feels like a better opportunity, regardless of how cool disney may be and discounts... I know im not next up in line to become a direct hire and even if i was, id be stuck doing site support still and i REALLY want to start getting away from that... at least with this job I will have a better 'in' when i try to get a security gig once certified...
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    It sounds like you have already made up your mind; however, whenever I have taken a job where there were initially a lot of "road blocks" put in place to get to it, it has always turned out to be a bad experience.

Good luck
  • Options
    DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Disney didn't have a single pro compared to the TSA job. ITS A NO BRAINER. Better pay, Better hours, better commute, the money you will save not being in traffic for hours a day. Take the TSA job.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • Options
    FidelityFidelity Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You obviously want the TSA job and it is easy to see why. Stop denying it and take the job already! It'll probably open more doors for you than Disney would too.