Options

Starting off

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've worked in computer technology for a number of years, but I haven't had a whole lot of network experience outside of a classroom environment. Most network jobs these days require a CCNA or some heavy on-the-job experience with routers, servers, etc before they will even bother talking to you. I went around offering to work for free, or volunteer around...and I still get turned away.

Any ideas on starting out? I'm going to retake my CCNA and hopefully have it under my belt soon. That seems to be the only way I'm going to get in anywhere. After Katrina, I would think they'd like a lot of volunteer help over there. I would go, since I live in florida and wouldn't mind the experience. :P

I have my resume posted in a lot of places like Careerbuilder,monster,etc and I rarely get a call. Could it be that I live an hour away from major cities like Orlando?

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, I know that's frustrating for ya. To be honest, some people take an offer to do volunteer, or free work as "can i learn how to do this by practicing on your systems". I know this might not be the case always, but it's amazing how narrow minded some people out there are.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have a point there, and it's not half wrong. cough
    I think most of my job experience is volunteer work as well. <_< >_>

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know this might sound a little off base, but consider hiring one of the professional resume writers to work up your resume. Sometimes that's all it takes. It sounds to me like you have enough experience to land a pretty decent job. The key is to make your resume sound really really good without flirting with making yourself sound "bigger than you are". Because getting the calls and interviews is only part of the task.