What do you do with all your paper on the way to an interview?

I have some documentations I would like to bring along for an interview. Example documentations, map typologies, pictures, reviews, and some other important items I would like to show.

How do you guys carry all that paper into the interview? I'd rather stay away from a briefcase as that is to much for so little.

On my current job, I just bought a clear folder much like this one: Amazon.com: Smead Poly String and Button Booklet Envelope, 11.625 x 9.75 x 1.25 Inches, Clear, 5 per Pack (89521): Office Products

What is everyone's opinions on this?

As a heads up before people come rain hell on me, all my documentation sensitive data has been removed. It is mainly to provide a baseline of my work.

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    My opinion is that's very tacky and unprofessional. If someone pulled one of those out in one of my meetings they would surely get a WTF are you doing look.

I usually carry in a leather portfolio with my college's logo on it with extra copies of my resume, a notepad to write on and any specific documentation that I plan to show.

Something like this: 8620-20149.jpg
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Leather portfolio, like the one shown above. You can pick one up for ~$20 and it'll last quite a while.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Padfolio is the way to go - it doubles for jotting info down as well (names and so on).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another vote for the above.

My only issue with these is my own nervousness....nervous makes my hands sweat, handful of leather makes my hand sweat, put them together and it can be bad!
    You can also rock one of these bad boys if you really want attention :) I have a few that I use in my lab...

fmf5.jpg
    Yes, do watch out for the hand sweating while holding something leather! Also I've started turning down bottled water while I wait for my interviewer to come out as I've been caught holding a portfolio in one hand, water in the other and having to juggle them to shake their hand multiple times now.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use the same thing as AkariCloud.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    My opinion is that's very tacky and unprofessional. If someone pulled one of those out in one of my meetings they would surely get a WTF are you doing look.
    I usually carry in a leather portfolio with my college's logo on it with extra copies of my resume, a notepad to write on and any specific documentation that I plan to show.

Keep in mind, I did that in my entry level position. As you can tell, I don't want to do that again. That thing looks great, I will have to see if I can find one on short notice. Highly doubt I'll get my name on it right away though.
    I wouldn't worry about your name on it but you should be able to pick one up at any office supply store.
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about your name on it but you should be able to pick one up at any office supply store.

Will do, thanks for all the information :)
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Are you really going to pull out papers to show the interviewer? Wow, that's a first for me...interesting approach to say the least.

I bring a normal leather binder, 3-4 copies of my CV (to hand out) and a pen. That's it.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    I don't plan on pulling them out unless I'm asked. During the phone interview I was specifically asked if I've done this and how I did it. Wouldn't you bring that along if you think it will come up in person? I might be over prepared I guess.

Edit: What does CV mean?
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm paperless. All of my documents are in my ECM or cloud drive. I just open on my iPad.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I don't plan on pulling them out unless I'm asked. During the phone interview I was specifically asked if I've done this and how I did it. Wouldn't you bring that along if you think it will come up in person? I might be over prepared I guess.

No, you should be able to explain how you would approach a specific design etc. better yet, if handed a blank piece of paper, draw it right then and there.

In handing over some papers, who is to know they are yours? Just let the interview flow, and explain what you have done and in doing that they should have a good idea of what you know and don't know.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use the same type of leather/fake leather portfolio as well. Zips closed, easy to store Resumes, Business cards, take notes ect.

We just got done doing a couple interviews where we asked the interviewees how they document ect and I think had any one of them had examples already on hand that would have been a definite advantage over any of the other interviewees.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is how I break the ice and show them I'm up to speed on the latest trends:

508eeac64f8d7-750x750.jpg

Seriously now, padfolio is the way to go.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ I have no idea who those kids are.

I use a leather portfolio. I got a cheap one from Office Depot but it looks really nice.
    Keep multiple resume copies, any projects, references, code (if applicable), etc
    Hold it in your left hand to avoid sweaty handshakes
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Leather portfolio like everyone else has recommended. Check the clearance section of Office Depot, they always have them there for cheap. I got mine for $7 IIRC.

Keep a folder with all your important documents on one half and a legal pad on the other. When I went for my last interview, I had the job posting printed out with highlights and notes jotted on it and clipped to one side. The other side had my legal pad with questions already written on it. Behind the tacked up job posting was my black folder with my resume, dd214, copies of certs, professional and personal references, etc.

But yeah, that clear trapper keeper is something I'd see in middle school or with a soccer coach.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For interviews, I have a messenger bag, and in it I have 2 hard case clear boxes for paperwork, to keep them clean, and from getting folded onto themselves, or mashed with other items such as spiral bound notebooks, and protects artwork, images, pictures, etc. So, what I carry is one of these:

I bought mine at Ross for $8.99.

in it, I use a couple of the hard case document holders that look like this:

B5 Plastic Document Case Photo, Detailed about B5 Plastic Document Case Picture on Alibaba.com.

I got them for a $1 each, at the dollar store, and non colored.

That is what I use to store my resumes, cover letters, important documents like copy of driving records, copy of extra resumes, you could put a copy of your portfolio in it. The ones I have are very slim, and fit very nicely in the messenger bag, along with a couple of notebooks, and has 3 slots for pens you can have on hand on the outside. The messenger bag is very nice, it has plenty of pockets, holders, and extra storage space. In one of the side pockets I keep a couple of wallet sized business card holders with my own business cards and cards that I collect from the interviewers, so I can remember their names, so that I can properly address them when sending them thank you cards, notes, etc.

Edit: please ignore the thumbnail below, it wont let me delete it for some reason? I was attempting to find a plastic hard case document holder and found something else instead, which is provided in the link above. The attached thumbnail isnt what I wanted to keep. Oh well, lol.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
    To the member who asked about the PCB clipboard via feedback submission (can’t see usernames there) – try etsy.com

RECYCLED CIRCUIT BOARD Geekery LARGE CLIPBOARD by DebbyAremDesigns

I see there are some kick a55 PCB pens now too!!
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□

Curriculum vitae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's like a resume, but more detailed, basically. It's more common in the UK.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe I'm a little different but..

I personally don't care what you put your documents in when you pull them out to present them to me. As long as what you're presenting makes sense, is orderly, and goes along with the flow of the interview. I could care less if it's out of a plastic bag, paper bag, or a leather binder. I only care about what YOU offer, not what your binder looks like. Even the brightest and hard working of people can be unkempt.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog