Simulating Different Network Protocols?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is this possible within GNS3?

I am experimenting labbing different ACL scenarios and curious if there is a definitive way to simulate other protocols other than ICMP (ping).

I've tried some extended pings and where it asks for "type of service" I tried entering different protocol numbers but I don't believe this function may be what it is supposed to be used for.

Ideas?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The "type of service" i.e. TOS field is the 8 bit qos field inside the ip header. Bits 0,1 and 2 represent IP precedence, 3-6 are Tos, bit 7 is always 0.
    Then DSCP was defined as the 6 most significant bits 0 - 5, while remaining 2, 6 and 7 are used for ECN.
    If you want to test specific ports you could telnet using a port number.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only recommend Scapy - powerful packet crafting tool written on python.
    But you need to connect gns3 to the real network.
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    I usally use telnet to test ACL's. for example telnet 10.1.1.1 80 , this will test if an ACL to permit or deny HTTP traffic is working as expected.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    I usally use telnet to test ACL's. for example telnet 10.1.1.1 80 , this will test if an ACL to permit or deny HTTP traffic is working as expected.

Nice! This is what I was looking for. For some reason this didn't pop into my head. Was up late and had a long shift at work. We actually do this at work on Citrix Load Balancers all the time to verify the client server connections are working via the pre-configured ports.

Thanks for the reminder!
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    You can use IP SLA's to send any udp/tcp traffic from whatever port number you like. I use it to troubleshoot when I have little visibility within a DMZ that has very restrictive rules in place. I wrote an article on this if you want to take a look at my IP SLA section.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    You can use IP SLA's to send any udp/tcp traffic from whatever port number you like. I use it to troubleshoot when I have little visibility within a DMZ that has very restrictive rules in place. I wrote an article on this if you want to take a look at my IP SLA section.

Oh nice! That sounds like fun to play with! I am pretty familiar with the configuration parameters. This I actually troubleshoot a lot at work but more troubleshooting voice protocols / jitter across network paths. This could work though thanks for the idea!