Auto MDIX help....

ION_TrekION_Trek Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So.... I just got to thinking about this. I have connected many switches directly together since starting to work in residential networking about 4 years ago. Never once have I used a crossover cable as suggested in the training. So does that mean -

1) am I using the correct acrymon auto MDIX or is that Cisco proprietary? If that is only Cisco lingo, what do other companies use?

2) Do modern switch has auto MDIX on by default? If so, roughly how long has this been prevalent in the industry.

3) I have never figured out what that uplink port on my Netgear switch was for - was that an auto mdix port?

Sorry for the newbie questions.... Thanks in advance to any/all help.

Comments

• rhtrht Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1) MDIX or MDI-X for medium dependent interface crossover. I havent used Cisco routers before but i have seen them on other small SOHO routers.
    2) i am not sure.
    3) Uplink ports or MDIX ports are used to connect switches together. You would use a normal straight through UTP cable on the uplink or MDIX port and connect the other end of the cable to a normal unused port on the other switch. The other way to do it is to use a crossover cable instead on any of the MDI ports.