Options

Resume Review - Trouble finding a Summer Internship

cmorris14cmorris14 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
anX0hft.png
Name, Email, Phone # included as well, but removed from this image.

I have applied for about 100 internship positions at this point with little luck. I have had 3 phone interviews so far and have a 4th on the 24th. Earlier this afternoon, I got an email from AT&T that said that they ended up going with another applicant for a Networking position, which was one of the companies that I expected to at least interview for.

The first two interviews were with TE Connectivity. The first one did not go great, I was nervous, and found out that I wasn't really interested in the position, they wanted me to do some web development when the position I was interviewing for was in application development with a focus on security. The second interview with TE was much better, but I believe that they went with someone else.

The third interview was with Verizon, but only with a HR rep who seemed to have little knowledge about IT. It was extremely scripted and I did not even have an opportunity to ask questions at the end. I believe that I answered the questions well and she was supposed to pass the results to her supervisor. It's been about 1.5 weeks since that interview, so there's still a chance I'll get a second phone interview with them. I'm not really sure I answered one of the questions she asked with what she was looking for though. She asked about my time management principles and dedication in a theoretical way. I wasn't sure how to answer the question, so I gave her an example, which was that the week before finals, last semester, I was taking 19 credits while working 15 hour shifts doing an XP to 7 migration, as a contractor, and still managed to get a 3.88 GPA for the semester, which is also coincidentally my cumulative GPA. From the way she reacted afterwards, it seemed to me that she wanted an answer where I discussed specific techniques rather than an example. Maybe I'm just overthinking that one though.

The fourth interview will be with ING on the 24th.

Anyways, sorry for all the text. Can anyone critique my resume and give me some pointers on improvement? I expected that I would have had more success than I have had to date. I'm looking for basically anything in the IT field at this point. At the beginning of the Fall semester, I was interested in eventually becoming a Network Engineer. After picking up some programming experience, I am very interested in that as well. I did really well in a database course I took last Spring and I would be interested in something like that for an internship, but I'm not sure that I would want to stay in that area for a career. I am also applying for Technical Support positions, but that's more of a last resort.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Removed the Objective after reading the thread in this forum. Trying to come up with a Summary to replace it. Made a few tweaks.
    Any advice at all?

0vfYGTQ.png
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    It looks good, and it sounds like you're getting calls, so I wouldn't be worried.
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey at least you're getting some responses. I've applied to a bunch and still haven't heard back from a single one. One of them is still accepting applications even though the deadline in the job posting has passed. What the heck!
  • Options
    JaneDoe wrote: »
    It looks good, and it sounds like you're getting calls, so I wouldn't be worried.
    Thanks. These applications were mostly put in towards the end of December though, which is what has me worried.
    ITcognito wrote: »
    Hey at least you're getting some responses. I've applied to a bunch and still haven't heard back from a single one. One of them is still accepting applications even though the deadline in the job posting has passed. What the heck!
    Thanks and good luck to you. When did you start applying? Have you heard back as far as them selecting other candidates or have you not heard back at all? I applied to a few internships with AT&T and just heard back that they went with other candidates, which was a disappointment. Verizon and AT&T were/are towards the top of my list.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    I wouldn't worry. December is really early to put applications in for summer. I'm sure a lot of places are waiting longer before closing the application process and deciding who to move forward with.
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cmorris14 wrote: »
    Thanks and good luck to you. When did you start applying? Have you heard back as far as them selecting other candidates or have you not heard back at all? I applied to a few internships with AT&T and just heard back that they went with other candidates, which was a disappointment. Verizon and AT&T were/are towards the top of my list.

Started applying in the beginning of February. I mainly use indeed to find and apply for positions. Maybe I'm just being too eager and need to relax a bit and be more patient. Don't want the spring to roll around and not be employed. That would suck.