Options

Masters in Legal Studies?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I work as a regulator so I am waist deep in regulations and audits on a daily basis. I was hired based on my technical skills and have done well. But I keep feeling like I am a step behind due to the lack of legal training. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in the field (albeit might be moving to the investigative side within my agency and perhaps others down the road). I lack the time and the funding to pursue a law degree. Also, I don't want to be a lawyer. I started looking at graduate degrees in legal studies and I'm thinking that it will solve my problem. Any thoughts?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without knowing your exact situation it's hard to say, but from what you told me it seems rather extreme. Are there legal books out there that scope into the subject matter you are trying to learn? I have a friend who is in a similar situation as you but slightly different. He has his CS Masters but works with propriatery software and hardware that meters utitilies such as gas, electric and water. They usually hire in engineers for these positions however he is fully fluent in Spanish and English and they have a heavy presence in LATAM. He has been there 5 years or close to it and still struggles with the hardware and the electrical engineering side of things. Software, Database no problem but like you there seem to be other elements at play here. He accepted he was stronger in other areas than them and weaker in other areas. That was his strategy but each situation is different. Short answer no, but if you have the resources and time and the will and you think it will ad value then do it.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think taking a graduate degree for the sole purpose of learning more about that field is a bad idea. Knowledge is good, but I'm pretty skeptical that this kind of degree is going to be the most effective way for you to get the knowledge. Its value needs to stem partially from the credential itself. Do you think this degree is going to get your more job offers for higher salaries? If not, I don't think it's likely the right approach.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ^^^ what he said. The cost wouldn't be justified if it doesn't open doors down the road.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Thanks all! Part of the issue is the industry I regulate is extremely new (only be live for 3 months) so resources are almost non-existent. The particular program I am looking at has course in auditing, compliance, and investigation (all aspects of my job) along with legal research (not an area I deal with, we have lawyers for that). Right now I do basically a preliminary investigation and then hand it off to a different team to do the full investigation. I suspect in the next six months or so I'll be on that team. I tend to deal with lawyers throughout the day and I'm hoping to level the playing field. As for down the line, I do believe it could help as it's directly related to my current position and if I switch agencies it would be for a similar role so I do believe the return on investment would be there. Plus, tons of industries are regulated so if I went private sector I think I would be served well. Thanks again, pretty sure of what I am going to do!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Could you take a few classes and learn what you're looking to learn as opposed to getting a degree and being forced to take and pay for classes you don't need?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    As other have already stated out the ROI is not there unless someone else is footing the bill. Using youtube, and the other online sources you can gather a good deal of information about what you need and you use use your co workers to point you in the right direction.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thought to consider: could you be called as an expert witness in a legal action? If so, the ROI would be favorable.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have looked into Legal Studies programs a couple of times and never had a good feeling about them. Kind of like a BA in Liberal Studies or Humanities. I think an MBA or MS in Information Assurance or IS would be more marketable and respected.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I tend to think the ROI will be there because I am finding I enjoy regulation (and as a by product compliance) which this degree will definitely help me with. I deal with a lot of legal language and sometimes there really isn't an AG available to give me the full run down. Also, in the regulator world, an answer is usually a few days of back and forth. My plan is to go for the Masters and continue my IT studies via certifications and training. I've thought about a Masters in IA or IS, but haven't found a program that would differ greatly from what was covered in my undergrad. The other hang up is there are only a few in person programs in my area and if I want for the Masters in IA I'd want to be in a class with a lab. Thanks all!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff