Options

Pride

advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
So, this is a shout out to all of you who may let your pride get in your way.

In 2011, while I was in Iraq, I took on the task of trying to achieve my CCNA. I took the two test route and completed a test a month until I was certified at the end of September 2011. It's currently 2014 and I'm in an Advanced Leaders Course here on Ft. Gordon. I haven't touched IT stuff in a while because I ended up being selected to do recruiter duty. With a year and some change left, I'm looking to increase my skills again on the way out and back into the IT world.

I want you guys to know, even if you have to go back to the basics sometimes, it's OKAY. We've probably all been there at one point or another. Having to sit through Chris Bryants or Jeremy Cioaras videos again is actually humbling and enjoyable to do all over again. It's kind of fun re-learning this stuff. Some stuff I'm like, "Oh, yeah, I remember now." and other stuff I'm saying, "Uhhh, let me just give it some time."

After I re-certify around the April time frame (after school is done), I will be focusing on my CCNP Route studies. I became unfocused for a while and I'm glad I'm back.

At any rate, stay humble, always be willing to re-learn what you already know... you may just find something new.
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    There you go, that's the type of work ethic it takes.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I purchased the new ICND 1 and 2 books, just to re-learn a few things /COUGH EIGRP.

It's been 4-5 years since I've touched a CCNA book but it's really awesome. I love the new material and emphasis on R&S compared to prior.

Today's CCNA's are going to be well equipped to fall into a Tier 1/2 role if the material, labs and concepts stick.

~
    :twisted:
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the CCNA right before they changed the exam. Right after my exam, I continued my CCNA studies for the stuff that got added to the new exam. HSRP, VRRP, GLBP, multi-area OSPF, etc. I can definitely say the multi-area OSPF is coming in handy with my CCNP ROUTE studies. When they change the CCNP exam I will do the same thing with the new exam syllabus
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh yeah, I was surprised to see so many basic things gone out of these two tests and how much was added! I'm excited about more routing/troubleshooting for sure, but it definitely takes a bit more time to get through these tests than the old ones used to. I'm going through ICND1 again with the new material and enjoying it, IPV6 is definitely a big chunk. Was weird to see OSPF in ICND1. Looking forward to ICND2 as well. Hopefully ICND2 will help me transfer over into CCNP Route pretty quickly. I thought redistribution was specifically CCNP when I took it in 2011.

Oh well, having fun.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog