Options

Newbie CCENT question

SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm halfway through the CCENT using Packet Tracer, and I'm working through a few of the labs in Todd Lammles book, I have 3 routers and I have been struggling to setup both Name resolution and static routing.Working through the book, I can enter entries for both, but I haven't seen anywhere that says anything about setting the ip address for the router that you're working on, so I'm assuming that none of my routers have IP addresses, the entries enter fine into the table, but they don't mean anything as the router doesn't have an IP(and inevitably don't work). Maybe I'm wrong but I'm assuming thats what is the issue, if that is the case then how would I set an IP of a device I'm working on? I've tried both
router(config)#int vlan 1 router(config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 ,
and interface Tunnel0 ip address 192.168.252.87 255.255.255.0 , but when I set ether of them I cant ping the ip adddress that I set or 255.255.255.255 so it doesnt seem to set it as the IP address ? Can anyone give me a quick over view of how I can get 2 routers talking / connecting?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you have 2 router, they need to be connected via a physical interface, either ethernet or serial. If serial you need to configure a clockrate. Anyway before you start doing anything with ip make sure that both connected interfaces are up/up. You can also look at cdp to verify layer 2 connectivity.
    When interfaces are up/up you can assign an ip address on each side, make sure the ip address on each side shares the same subnet, i expect you know how ip addresses and subnets work.

Start with physical interfaces, above you have been looking at logical interfaces, the vlan interface will only come up if at least one physical port that has been assigned to it is up. No idea why you were looking at a tunneled interface.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Think I found my rookie mistake, thanks