Options

Project Manager vs. Operations Manager

ShinjinShinjin Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I've been fortunate enough to be offered two different promotions, both from the same employing entity (I work for my local government). Should start by saying both positions pay exactly the same, but are totally different lines of work. As a Project Manager, I'd be coordinating large/complex rollouts across 6 different facilities. As an operations manager, I'd be in charge of supervising field technicians and overseeing all the responsibilities of the Help Desk. I currently work at one of the facilities I mentioned above.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PM duties seem like a lot of administrative work - hosting/attending meetings, writing up documents, shooting off emails/status updates, etc. I currently only hold a Project+ certification, but the employer has offered to train (and pay for) a PMP certification. I have zero experience and would probably only go in as a lead or junior project manager, albeit great room for growth.

The second option - operations manager - is something I'm more familiar with. I've always worked out of an IT ticketing queue and have risen up from first tier (Help Desk) to third tier support (Network). This is something I'm definitely more comfortable with...but I don't know if comfortable is always better?

I guess my question is really this - would managing projects or managing people provide more value to my career in the long-term, and why?

I eventually see myself as an IT Director or Manager of some sort.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to continue on the management route then the manger role is probably better for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Operations manager without a doubt. Give you more expierence managing people. Projects are easy to manage.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.