Options

Would this be a good idea?

ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been looking for an IT internship position for the summer. I've tried networking and it's not getting me anywhere. I've applied to a bunch of places and have yet to hear anything back. I'm starting to get frustrated because I know I'm capable of doing the duties outlined in the job postings, so if I'm not being called for interviews, the competition must be really good or there is some other bullshit at play here.

Would it be a good idea to look up companies I'd like to work for on LinkedIn and contact their IT manager directly?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's nothing wrong with being proactive in your job search. If there number is easily available, then why not? Out of all of the jobs I've had, I don't think I've had any of them get mad that I'm calling them directly because of my interest in the position. If anything, I've gotten a couple of jobs by doing that.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Summer? But it's only February, is that normal?
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Looking up IT managers and contacting them could land you a position, but I'd be more concerned of why you're not getting any calls back.

Is your resume 100% perfect? What do your cover letters look like? What experience or skills do you have that would bring value to these positions?
  • Options
    JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    Also try going to local user groups. Most cities has a Cisco or Microsoft or whatever user group that meets once a month. Good way to network with like minded people.

J
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Looking up IT managers and contacting them could land you a position, but I'd be more concerned of why you're not getting any calls back.

Is your resume 100% perfect? What do your cover letters look like? What experience or skills do you have that would bring value to these positions?

Agreed. If someone is going to call you they have to be impressed with your resume.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.