Options

Why is so hard to find a job as developer?

danmegadanmega Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am experienced freelancer developer sice 1999, I am make living of creating various ipad/iphone and windows apps but I cant make a decent living from it, my parents still need to help me paying bills, now I am trying to find development job for months but still nothing, also sent over a hundred replies over craiglist for jobs but only few replies nothing serious, is it time to find another job, is it really that hard to find job as experienced developer, I dont know what to do, any good tip are welcome, I can develop almost everything from mobile app to Windows system apps and webservices?

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Being freelance for a very long time and possibly having no experience as an employee might scare a lot of places. Also, since you've created so many apps, are you supplying people with a portfolio of what you've done and what you can do?

I'm not a developer so this might be completely wrong, but I'd imagine in your field that if you just sent a regular boring resume saying... I left HS, then spent 15 years doing my own thing and can program anything, without supplying a ton of proof to back that up. I just doesn't sound like it would hold a lot of weight.
  • Options
    That it is the problem, I now that I can do many things almost anything that I think of but I dont have much proof for that, it is to much risk to go on some project alone, It's to much work and I dont have funds for marketing which is great deal more then product it self, currently I have 60 apps for iPhone developed in last 5years and few Security apps for Windows that I make good living from back then when WinXp was active but since win7 there is no much viruses or malware, windows have decent protection this days, there was good and bad months but earnings is dropping, to much competition, I just like to work, I dont have much to do and I am going crazy from it, I now that I have many things to offer with my experience but still I did not get any chance to prove my self, my plan is to work for free if required just to make sure that employer can have trust i me, time will tell
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    danmega wrote: »
    ... my plan is to work for free if required just to make sure that employer can have trust i me, time will tell

I was in a similar situation to your own, and I did this for several months. It did help me to then get a contract job. While the (volunteer) job was indeed miserable, I don't regret my decision because it helped me to get a toe in the door.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Dan, maybe post up your resume for constructive criticism? Just trying to help when I say this, so please don't be offended, but you come off as semi-literate. That doesn't make a good impression on potential employers, and maybe they're getting scared off before you can even show your stuff.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Try working with a recruiter. Where I work, we are always looking for good PHP developers, always.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    Have you tried contributing to open source projects? All you need is a computer, and it's a great way to show your competence in a job search.
  • Options
    My email resume was this, mostly CV was sent on request but in most of cases nobody has been interested in CV

A skilled software and web developer/designer with proven expertise in various systems (Windows, MAC, IOS, Android) and programming languages such is C, C++, Pascal, PHP, HTML, ASM looking to work.
    Having extensive industry and full life cycle experience in a developing, designing Windows, MAC, IOS and WEB based applications, services.
    I am willing to work hardly to succeed, I can develop basically everything from desktop app, modern webpages and mobile apps also i am good flexible team worker.
  • Options
    JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    No wonder you can't find anything. You need a create a resume, this page shows you the basics and some examples. I would suggest you get help creating your resume from friends and family, or work a professional resume writer. What you've posted there looks like a good summary for your resume.

When you contact employers you should include you resume and a cover letter for the job. The body of the email you send employers should be your cover letter for the job.

Also create a linkedin profile where you talk about your work and connect to former clients, and create a website where you can show the projects you've done over the years.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I am willing to work hardly to succeed

Please, for your own sake, look up the word 'hardly.'
  • Options
    hardly also means barely, stupid me with this mistakes, thanks guys, this helped me alot, I will build up good resume and retry again!
  • Options
    is there any good place for searching it jobs insted of craiglist?
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    C'mon man. You're a software developer/programmer and you don't know how to google to get monster or other job sites? :p
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    hardly also means barely, stupid me with this mistakes, thanks guys, this helped me alot, I will build up good resume and retry again!

Is English your second language by chance?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Go to actual websites of major businesses or organizations in your area. Hospitals, universities, various tiers of government, etc. Part of looking for work is to actually do work. Many people today like to get on Monster/Careerbuilder/contact recruiters and then sit back and wait for jobs to come to them. Those are the types that remain unemployed and are frankly, less desirable employees in the first place.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    LinkedIn.com, Indeed.com, your local paper, monster.com and careerbuilder.com. Craitslist is a crapshoot.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    English is my second language, I am from europe
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Is English your second language by chance?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Where do you live? In the US or somewhere else?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    in europe, I will try to find remotely work for start, then relocate, hopefuččy that can be work or I am to naive to believe
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Ok, yeah I was going to say, if you're trying to create a Resume / CV / LinkedIn in English you may want to hire a writing service to create one for you. No offense meant at all, but it'd greatly benefit you I do believe.