Options

Studying Comp Sci, what can I do during my degree to gain experience?

CompSci99CompSci99 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello members,

I'm new here, I'm 24 and have just recently started a BSc Computer Science degree with the intention of passing with a high score, in which I will graduate in 4 years time. Moreover, I'm also thinking of studying a part time masters in IT management or Computer Science once I've completed my degree.

I've very, very passionate about Computer Science, I love the general pathway a Comp Sci degree will entail once completed which I can go into different avenues such as IT project management, management, software engineering, networking, security, information systems, programming etc.

The only problem I face is of general work experience, I'm studying for an A+ cert and generally seeking to volunteer then move onto technician roles once I've gained sufficient work experience through volunteering.

I can only think of summer internships, volunteer work in IT, collaborating with other students and create something worthwhile combining our skills. More so run an IT consultancy.

Can any member give me any ideas as to gain work experience?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Actually, I think you've got a handle on it already. Internships, volunteer work, collaboration w/fellow students. Put a nice blog together detailing your experiences throughout the next four years and you'll have it in the bag.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I done contract work for SmartSource (www.smartsource-inc.com) when they had jobs in my area. They were usually 1-2 day jobs with a decent hourly rate, I did PC/Server refreshes but I still get offers ranging from that to network troubleshooting. I also did work study 20hrs/week at the college I was attending, that was valuable experience also working in a larger environment.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is just me. I love the idea of you going for the CS Masters, that's just me though. I like the idea of going on oDesk or some other consultant site and offering your services and start to build your portofolio.