Options

how do you guys negotiate pay?

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have an interview on Monday and was planning on saying "how much are you offering?" When asked for salary requirement.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do some research and figure out what your skills and experience are worth. Ask for that amount, maybe a little above to add some room for negotiations.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    You negotiate pay during the job offer process, do not bring up pay during the interview process. If they ask what you are looking for in terms of pay during an interview, I advise giving a vague answer and see if you can dodge it until the job offer process, otherwise go a bit above market value as networker said.

The reason I think it's better to initially dodge this question is it may filter you out of the selection process if your number is too high, but if it's lower than their usual pay rate then you just reduced your job offer salary.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually say 25% more then what I am currently making. I definitely wouldn't say "What are you offering"? Not very professional in my opinion.
  • Options
    ande0255 wrote: »
    You negotiate pay during the job offer process, do not bring up pay during the interview process.

I disagree with this. Pay is one of the first things I bring up before even interviewing. No point wasting everyone's time if you aren't in the same ball park.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Interesting. Discussing money right off the bat is generally not recommended just about anywhere you look. If there was a recruiter/ involved, then I think its definitely appropriate.

I totally get the reason to want to bring it up early though.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    I'm not saying you should haggle an exact dollar amount up front, but if I'm looking to make $100k+ and the position caps out at $75k that is probably something that you should get out of the way in the beginning. Instead people end up going through the whole interview process just to find out they aren't even close.
  • Options
    ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input. If they ask I will give them a number a little above market value
  • Options
    When you bring it up from the angle that you are looking for a set amount to match your skills, and you have desirable enough skill set to be that up front about pay, I can see how you'd be up front about that first.

For people looking to just negotiate a higher starting pay without a set expectation, I would not bring it up before the job offer, especially if your skill set is not highly in demand and backed up by a good amount of experience.

I assume at very least 75% of users on here fall into the latter category.
  • Options
    I disagree with that as well. It's a job and pay is a huge part of that. Nothing wrong with discussing a ball park figure in initial conversations.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I disagree with this. Pay is one of the first things I bring up before even interviewing. No point wasting everyone's time if you aren't in the same ball park.

I agree with this 100% - it's also worth noting that you're playing by a different set of rules when you already hold a position.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a tough one. I would play it by ear. I was contacted by a principal recruiter for a company for a position (I dont usually deal with staffing firms/head hunters). The company was a large bay area google ventures backed startup, I proceeded through 4 interviews, and in the last they asked me my salary requirements. When I told them the number you could hear an audible gasp, suffice it to say the next day the contacted me to let me know that I was no longer in the running. Personally I was very interested in the company, but I would have preferred not to have gone through so many interviews if we had both known up front what my salary expectations were and if they were prepared to meet them or not. Prior to that I was of the same mentality of dodging the question in interviews until the offer came through.

I will say things like, I would have to see the benefits package, depending on the opportunity for growth, work/life balance, blah blah blah, until they say "We would like to make you an offer..."
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    teancum0teancum0 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually was surprised the other day when I was asked how much I was making in an interview. (not sure why I was surprised just hadn't thought about it too much.) I asked a few people about it and didn't really get an answer I liked until I found this article.

'What Did You Earn At Your Last Job?' - Forbes

Hope it helps someone here as well.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Isn't it funny how most people thinking talking about money early is wrong, but almost every recruiter I've talked to asks me what my current salary is within 60 seconds on the phone. Usually before they even ask what I'm looking for or about the specific job I've applied to.
  • Options
    Yeah I can't think of an instance where a recruiter has not discussed some type of compensation with me during an initial phone screen, however I was commenting on the question in the OP about asking during the interview.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I prefer to discuss a ball park during interviews yet never nail down an exact number as it highly depends on benefit details that are only made available in a real offer. Something like $75k-100k depending on position details and benefits.

I'll negotiate higher within that range once we're further in the process and they're set on trying to hire me.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You don't ask about salary on an interview. Big No-No..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Why would you consider that a No No? Everyone involved knows this is a job and money is involved. I don't understand the games people try to play.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I had a discussion with a hiring manager in Human Resources and she told me, when an interviewee asks what the salary is for the job, that person is not considered.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    That is one persons opinion. If that was the case I'd never be hired ever!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Your view is one person's opinion as well. :) Not literally. I just mean it is definitely less popular and not the standard.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I've done various $10-$20 an hour construction type jobs, retail management, vendor services, and IT from intern to help desk to systems admin. There is no way I am wasting my time with a 3-5 step interview process if we aren't in the same ballpark for money.

I left Home Depot as an Assistant Store Manager about 12 years ago in order to go back to school and try to get into IT. I applied for a night supervisor position at Target. The first thing I asked at the end of the initial phone interview when they asked if I had any questions. "What are the expected hours, and what is the salary range?" When they said $7.15 an hour with a dollar third shift bonus I told them I wasn't interested. They wanted to offer me the job over the phone but needed to schedule an interview with the store manager and district manager. Had I not asked that question I would have wasted time and fuel at the least.

I got a part time job doing help desk while going to school full time. In that scenario it didn't matter to me what the pay was because I wanted the experience on my resume. 4 months into that job a place I had applied to called me in for an interview. At that point I had been made full time and given a nice salary and put school on hold as I was learning more at the job. At the end of the interview I again asked the salary. The range they were looking for would have been a 25% cut. I thanked them for their time and went on my way.

Unless I am unemployed or have no other options but the company that is interviewing me I am going to bring salary up during the initial communication with them every time.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Your view is one person's opinion as well. :) Not literally. I just mean it is definitely less popular and not the standard.

Well, it's my opinion and everyone's that has ever hired me. So at least like 10 people! :D

We went through a bunch of interviews last year and at least four or five people got all the way to the offer phase just to realize we weren't on the same page salary wise. They were the type that wouldn't give a salary answer. Just "negotiable". Was a big waste of everyone's time. Something everyone should strive to avoid IMO.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sorry, but an HR person's opinion is just that, his/her opinion. It is not gospel or any sort of industry standard. Yes, some places play stupid games and will give you the boot if you are not docile and bend over for them. That doesn't mean is is standard practice.

I concur with networker050184. Keep in mind that some of us have done this for a long time and value both our time, an the prospective employer's time. I hate for any side to waste each others time. They save time by asking me my expected salary range. I save time by communicating the same. If we are in tune, perfect. If not, we thank each other and part ways.

I would never go to an interview without having some idea of the remuneration range.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I typically ask what the salary range is. It's a little less direct but gives me a good idea of what to expect. It's perplexing how someone would think that question is bad. What am I coming into work for? My health? I've got a family to feed. It doesn't mean that I'm greedy or not a team player, it's just kind of an important part of the job.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly markulous. I'm coming to work for money. You know it. I know it. What's the point of dancing around the question? This isn't charity work.
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    I think networker is 100% correct. Wondering if the net, will write disagree after every post until 10p.m lol…
    Not to beat the heck out of a already dead horse, but who would go through the application process, verifying clearance, background check, possibly add 20+miles to the commute, find out they may/may not have benefits (insurance/401K match, Paid leave,) go to Jos A Bank and buy a few good suits, one or two ties and two sports coats…only to find out you are getting paid $13.50 a hour part-time or on call???…and your rent/mortgage is $1200 a month, not including gas water electricity etc etc. I mean asking about the $ does not have to be the first question, but it should be asked before the phone is hung up. People have families, responsibilities, stocks to invest inicon_lol.gif… The guy that just has A+ and CCENT is in no way in the position to negotiate a salary and take anything, now everyone else………we going to talk about that $$$
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    For me the exception to this is when you're just looking for experience. Before I got my current position, I'd work damn near for free to get into a networking role, but now that I'm in one and building experience rapidly, I could see myself the money being a consideration as well (though opportunity for experience is still paramount to me).

So I'd say in the situation I was in, not being able to find a job in my field, bringing up money could only potentially harm my chances for the position. So it's not always completely ridiculous to leave compensation off the table during the interview process, even though I fully agree that dancing around the subject is a crock of ****.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    For me the exception to this is when you're just looking for experience. Before I got my current position, I'd work damn near for free to get into a networking role, but now that I'm in one and building experience rapidly, I could see myself the money being a consideration as well (though opportunity for experience is still paramount to me).

So I'd say in the situation I was in, not being able to find a job in my field, bringing up money could only potentially harm my chances for the position. So it's not always completely ridiculous to leave compensation off the table during the interview process, even though I fully agree that dancing around the subject is a crock of ****.

Yeah, if it's my first go within IT or I don't have a job, I tend to wait a bit longer to ask since I'm probably taking the job no matter what. I still don't wait too long though since I need to budget.
  • Options
    It's a still a job whether it is your first or 100th. I don't see what the problem is with asking for a pay range. What's next you can't ask what the job duties are? Those are the two most important things and should be the first things discussed.

What do you want me to do and how much do you plan on paying me to do it?