Possibility looking for a new position

DrB1986DrB1986 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Fellow IT Technicians,

Hello, I am here today because I am currently putting myself back on the job market for I think it is time for me to leave my job in the near future, though I am keeping my options open. Long story short and I did post about it recently I currently work on the NMCI contract on the help desk in Norfolk after leaving my job working tech refresh with The Experts which was also on the NMCI contract, which was becoming bullshit for the crap we suffered at the hands of HP and our company. I took the job in the hopes that it was be easier and that it would not be as much BS as the tech refresh team and getting a TS an upgrade from secret and plenty of admin experience that was needed badly on my resume it seemed great plus the chance of getting a position where I can go back to school to finish up my degree. Training was okay and we all got through it and became a band of brothers which we still talk on chat to this day however after a while I started to notice some of the BS that was going on such as the stupid policies such as you cannot even have a reading book on the desk, the PC'ness that goes on, being treated differently cause you are a sub k and long story short I really do not care for Hewlett Packard or NMCI that much anymore.

I wish to discuss looking for a new position or if any one knows anyone that I can send my resume to, plus at least let me here some advice on how to proceed, I have put my self on the market again and anything does help. I am aware very much so if I were to get a job that is non-government that my clearance will go expired in 2 years and my dad who is TS/ SCI said the same thing but according to him I can always get it reactivated.

P.S. what I said about NMCI is my own opinion I do not wish to argue with anyone.

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Have you tried IT staffing agencies at all? After my first IT experience, recruiters could find me contract jobs all the time, I sometimes wouldn't even have to interview for the specific position.

I'd find the names of local IT staffing firms, find them on linkedin, and connect with everyone who has them as a connection. You'll get so many job offers it will annoy you, if you have any real IT experience.
  • DrB1986DrB1986 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right I am currently doing that now, and sorry if my post seemed vague but I to have a good amount of experience, If I could show my resume on here I would.
  • DrB1986DrB1986 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Objective
    To obtain a position that I can utilize my “Information Technology/Networking/Server Administration” skills, knowledge and experience to become a positive asset to your company. I consider myself to be a learnable person that not only wishes to turn a job into a career but gain experience from it. I also wish to contribute to make the working atmosphere a positive one as well

Technical Skills
    Experience with telephone technical support
    • Professional customer service skills
    • CONUS/ International travel experience
    • Active Directory Management experience
    • Windows administrator experience
    • Microsoft Outlook knowledge
    • Window XP experience
    • Knowledge with web browsers such as Windows Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox • Windows Vista experience
    • Windows 7 experience
    • Windows server 2003 experience
    • Experience with ticketing systems
    • Linux Ubuntu experience
    Experience in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
    Experience installing antivirus software
    Experience troubleshooting printer issues and installing printers
    Basic LAN/ Network troubleshooting knowledge
    Installing and configuring Windows Operating Systems
    • Virtualization experience with VMWARE and Virtual Box

Professional Experience

Strategic Data Systems Inc. 11/2013- present
    Help Desk Analyst

• Working as a T1 Help Desk Technician troubleshooting user issues on the NMCI network over the phone and on the computer.
    • Used Remote Desktop Connection, Remote Assistance, Active Directory, SM7 and Remedy ticketing systems to assist users.
    • Worked with various Blackberry data phones.
    • Used a tool-pack that is similar to Microsoft SCCM
    • Troubleshooted various printers local and network wise (HP, Lexmark, etc.)
    • Specialized in rebuilding Windows 7 profiles and profiles for MS Outlook 2007-2010.
    • Also was given administrative access on the network to perform my duties.

The Experts Inc. / Navy Marine Corps Infrastructure Program 02/2012 - 11/2013
    Navy IT Contractor/ Desktop Engineer

Set up numerous Hewlett Packard (HP) desktop and laptop computers which use Windows XP for the Department of the Navy for use that included keyboards, mouse, monitors, Ethernet cable (CAT5/6), KVM switches, and sometimes SIPR routers as well.
    Transfer data from computer to computer using P2P transfer methods and troubleshoot as well.
    • Troubleshooting PC’s and laptops that had issue ranging from not being able to connect to the network, printer issues, Microsoft Outlook issues, driver problems, and lost data.
    • The position allowed the use of local administrator user accounts
    • The position required me to travel to all parts of the United States and during this period also worked overseas in Japan, as well as driving site to site using rented vehicles paid for by the corporation

Diverse Technologies Corporation Inc. 12/2011 - 01/2012
    IT Support Technician

Contracted to Joint Forces Command on Norfolk Naval Station helping users with PC/ Laptop issues, CYBEX Switchbox issues.
    Supported users using confidential or secured network connections, and with windows 7 and XP operating systems.
    • Assisted with imaging and deployment of Dell Laptops to users.

The Experts Inc. / Navy Marine Corps Infrastructure Program 08/2011 - 12/2012
    Navy IT Contractor/ Desktop Engineer

Set up numerous Hewlett Packard (HP) desktop and laptop computers which use Windows XP for the Department of the Navy for use that included keyboards, mouse, monitors, Ethernet cable (CAT5/6), KVM switches, and sometimes SIPR routers as well.
    Transfer data from computer to computer using P2P transfer methods and troubleshoot as well.
    • Troubleshooting PC’s and laptops that had issue ranging from not being able to connect to the network, printer issues, Microsoft Outlook issues, driver problems, and lost data.
    • The position allowed the use of local administrator user accounts
    • The position required me to travel to all parts of the United States, as well as driving site to site using rented vehicles paid for by the corporation

Alpine Access Inc. 06/2010 - 08/2011
    Phone Technical Support for Microsoft and AOL

Provided remote technical support to Microsoft and AOL customers.
    Supported users with hardware, Software and Network connectivity related issues.
    Documented and escalated tier 2 and 3 issues.
    In addition to providing excellent customer service, attending training classes at the beginning of each program that lasted 4-6 weeks
    Old Dominion University02/2009 - 08/2011
    Department of Public Safety

Provided security for the dormitories at Old Dominion University
    Secured buildings at night checked IDs from dormitories residents and work and assisted Police Department as necessary.

SimIS Inc. 06/2010 - 08/2010
    Information Technology Division Intern Summer of 2010

Supported Network Administrator with basic networking issues pertaining to windows server 7 and VMware.

Washington D.C. Army National Guard 11/2008 - 08/2010
    Military Police Guardsman

Reserve unit service require done weekend a month and two weeks a year in the Washington D.C. National Guard Armory
    • Provided security for 2008 presidential swear in ceremony in Washington. D.C.

MRO Computers and Astronomy 08/02008 - 06/2009
    Computer Tech intern

Gained experience in basic hardware and software installation, troubleshooting and support.

Virginia Army National Guard 08/2004 - 11/2008
    Military Police Guardsman,

Reserve unit where I drilled one weekend out of a month and two weeks a year in the Virginia Beach National Guard Armory

Certificates/Exams

SimIS.inc Summer 2010 internship certificate
    CompTIA A+ certification
    CompTIA Network+ certification studying to obtain
    CompTIA Security+ certification studying to obtain

Education

Continuing my Education at Tidewater Community College, 1428 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, Virginia Majoring in Information Technology
    Deep Creek High School, 1300 Margaret Booker Lane, Chesapeake, VA
    High School Diploma, June 2004
  • SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Indeed.com, simplified.com, dice.com, monster.com, LinkedIn.com, it staffing recruiters etc.

It looks like you would be qualified for potentially tier 2 or 3 desktop support or possibly jr. Administrator, but I think you need to get a cert to expand your skill set and push you out of helpdesk or desktop support roles.
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration