Options

Submitting a letter of resignation

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to submit a letter of resignation... My boss and current company are aware that I'm moving on to a new position at a new company... But I still need to submit my formal letter of resignation, and the only way I'll really be able to do that is via email. The reason it has to be email is because I work as a support contractor on a customer site, and my company office is no where near where I work or live.

So... I've already typed a formal letter of resignation... But I have no idea what to write in an email...

Thoughts?
Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If they already know you are leaving you don't really need to write anything. Just tell them you are emailing over the formal letter. Attach it to an email and send it on it's way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Please see attached document:
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    you already verbally told them, IF you are going to use them as a reference I would do the Letter of Resig. just to ice the cake if down the road you want to use someone from the company as a reference.. If you are in no way shape fashion or form going to use anyone as a reference…I do believe that putting in a notice ahead of time, will be good. People know individuals only get contracts for short periods….the main goal of most people are a career..not a job
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just attach the document or paste the contents in the email, I don't see a reason why it should be different than giving them the piece of paper. I don't see where using them as a reference really has anything to do with it.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't over-think it .. You're leaving . I write usually a nice one-liner .. Dear Bla, sorry but I am leaving, thanks for nothing, regards ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to submit a letter of resignation... My boss and current company are aware that I'm moving on to a new position at a new company... But I still need to submit my formal letter of resignation, and the only way I'll really be able to do that is via email. The reason it has to be email is because I work as a support contractor on a customer site, and my company office is no where near where I work or live.

So... I've already typed a formal letter of resignation... But I have no idea what to write in an email...

Thoughts?

I've had companies ask this just to show that I chose to leave on my own. Here is a suggestion.
    Emailing it to your boss is fine BUT do not send it as a word doc.
    Save it as a PDF and send it over that way words can not me manipulated. Then just email to the appropriate people.

I honestly just googled it and found a decent one then copied, pasted, and edited.