Options

New to the IT scene

jcauffmanjcauffman Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am new to the IT scene and have a few questions that I was hoping I could get some opinions. I have spends months trying to research a career game plan to get me on track and it seems that the more I research the more my path becomes blurred. I get that there is no "one way" of doing things, but I also don't want to waste time and money on certifications and school if I can bypass some of the steps. My goal would be to get into some sort of networking field, but I am not setting it in stone. I am currently A+ certified and am in the process of getting my Network+ cert. As I have been working through getting certifications I have ran across people that say without a degree the certifications are great, but the degree is what makes the difference.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You need to be able to sell yourself to a potential employer. The more things you have to sell yourself with the better. Degrees, experience, certifications, interviewing skills, a well written resume, right place at the right time. So many things go into the equation and subtracting one doesn't kill you chances whether that be a degree or certifications.

So, as you've found out through your research, it depends!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Selling yourself is what I would focus on.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs