Options

Network vs. Software vs. Web development in USA

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I would like to know what field is in-demand most in USA specifically in new jersey/new york area? and how hard to get that job in these areas? I have a ccna and currently I'am studying programming. thank you!

Comments

• Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Best thing to do is check indeed.com with your current abilities/certs and location. Then look at the number of hits you come up with. Then try the Sr. levels of those positions you find. Networking is on the other end of the spectrum from web dev. That said, having an understand of networking while being a dev is a fantastic thing. Good luck.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the more important thing is knowing which one you're more passionate about. Some people are both creative and logical hence like Software/Web Development, while some people just like dealing with routers/switches so lean toward networking.

You have to know advance math (Calculus II/III, etc) to get a good job in software programming while a degree in Information Systems can get you a job in networking. In networking you could be at $120,000 - $120,000 fulltime easy and push $150,00 - $200,000 when doing contracts. Software is slightly more. In the end passion (what you love to do) breaks any salary barriers because if say, you loved networking, you could work 2-3 networking projects and not even feel like you're working while doing the same work in software could stress you out.

One key advantage about software/web dev over networking is that you obviously don't have to be stuck at the office to do it while some networking jobs require that you be on location at a NOC, Data Center, e.t.c. It's all subjective though. Just do a little more objective research but as I said, do not restrict yourself to salary. There are other intangibles.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+