Options

ITIL Intermediate question

renegade-icerenegade-ice Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
new to the forums, but i like the help people seem to be providing and just wanted to clear up my own knowledge of the path to "Intermediate".

I obtained my Foundations in 2011 missing only 1 question. I never really bothered to see if I wanted to jump to an "Intermediate" level but after now being unemployed for over a year, I think showing I'm doing this on my own will help get me more interviews and hopefully employed before savings runs out. :)

my natural path would take me to the SO module and in looking over points credit, expert / master qualifications, what do you have to have to be called "intermediate"? if i take and pass the SO module, am i "Intermediate" for SO? or to claim that level of certification, do i need to pass all 5?

I've downloaded several PDF's from the itil-official site and saw the path to "master" in that yes you have to take them all, but i could never get a clear understanding of "intermediate" itself.

and thank you for the heads up on simplilearn. while digging i saw their course and was considering signing up but they had a disclaimer that in the state of texas i have to be sponsored by an employer and provide that status upon registering. odd, i thought to myself because no one else was in the room. so i hit their live chat and asked if that was a requirement or *their* requirement, posting their text back to them.

he wanted my e-mail and phone # so someone could call me to help with the sponsorship part.

end one chat in a hurry.

anyway - any clarification welcome and i'll keep digging. looks like i need to spend $120 on a book and do a lot of reading and brushing up before i begin to fork out that kinda money for the class.

[h=1]ITIL Service Operation 2011 Edition (Best Management Practices) (New edition), ISBN/EAN: 9780113313075 / 0113313071[/h]
that the book i need for the SO track? seems to be the one everyone recommends.

thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Options
    robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi renegade - you seem to be focusing on the lifecycle (rather than capability) stream. Are you more of an analyst/do-er or consultant/manager? The capability stream is broadly aimed at do-ers and the lifecycle more at managers, though either role can still benefit from both streams.

Before you spend cash on a book, I believe that in order to sit the exam, you have to have studied with an accredited training organisation. There are some online offerings available, but you can't just buy a book, study and then rock up to the exam.

I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly if I'm wrong :)

You'll be 'intermediate' once you've passed a single (or multiple) exams. To get to expert, you have to get 15 points worth of intermediates (2 comes from the foundation) and then sit the MALC.

The master is done as a study of a real world (to you) situation where you've implemented or improved service management. It was invite-only but may be open now. Most people I know stopped at Expert which should be more than enough qualification wise - pretty pricey to get to though.

When acting as a hiring manager, I'd personally always look for experience first and qualifications second.

Good luck!