Options

Online Employer Application ???

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently working a permanent full time job.. Don't want my employer to know I am looking for work. Not sure how to answer this question. Is it ok to contact your current employer??

My issue is if I choose Yes they call my employer and they know that I am looking for work.

If I choose NO they might think I have something to hide. Just need some advice from you experience job hoppers.

I'm really want to choose NO.. I wouldn't want to give them permission to contact my current employer unless I have a firm job offer

The employer I am applying for employe 50,000+ or more
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    What I've done in those situations is put the employers most generic, out of state, home office type of number I could find on the web. I have never heard anything more from this from either current or pottential employer, and have done that around 10 times.

I honestly don't think they usually call though, I see it more as an integrity check, like if your trying to hide anything.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do as ande0255 said, just give a very general contact number. Again from a hiring manager stand point it is more so that they get you are on the up and up with your work history.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    what about my immediate supervisor. It ask for me to fill that out as well
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would never allow this. My job search is my business only. My current employer doesn't have to know anything. If a prospective employer thinks I have something to hide by answering NO, then it's definitely not the place for me. Heck, some places take it as an offense that you are looking to leave and will even fire you in the spot if they find out.

Worth noting, a trend that I'm seeing a lot is a "no reference" policy where the employer simply refuses to answer any questions regarding the previous employee. All of this then becomes trivial.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd leave it blank, or again fill in generic company name there and home office phone number. No supervisor on Earth is going to take time out of their day to help another company draft their employee, the application you are describing is starting to smell of a scam.

Is this for a temp agency? I'm wondering if they are fishing for connections inside companies.
  • Options
    This is a Direct employer.

OK I am going to answer No to this question since I am currently employed.
    thanks for the advice.

Would love to post my resume for critique but too many keywords give clue of where I work and what position I have.
  • Options
    citrus_sugarcitrus_sugar Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In a lot of states now it is illegal to for an employer to state anything other than the dates you were employed. Sometimes even if you would be re-hirable. My company doesn't accept phone calls for employment verification, the request has to be sent by fax.

Maybe even have a friend call and ask for verification of someone you know is a former employee, or ask former employees if you know any what their experience was.
    Goals for 2014: Summer Internship, Graduate, Net+, Sec+, CCENT
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    ande0255 wrote: »
    What I've done in those situations is put the employers most generic, out of state, home office type of number I could find on the web. I have never heard anything more from this from either current or pottential employer, and have done that around 10 times.

I honestly don't think they usually call though, I see it more as an integrity check, like if your trying to hide anything.

That made me smile, and take note, for the future….
    Personally, I have had experience with putting down a phone number and the company called what was listed… I know because the people I put down told me. yes Citrus_, the company states the dates you were employed, but he is CURRENTLY employed..so.icon_rolleyes.gif what you think they are going to say? Honestly, if you put no, they may assume (bad)… and to be 100% honest.. depending on who sees it, I agree they "might" think something is fishy..Just remember this, you are not the only one who is applying for that job, I dont care if you are applying at McDonalds, you are competing with someone else, and you stand the chance that if someone else is remotely qualified as you.. they might get the position, because they didn't raise any hairs. Unless you are the most qualified one and they need the numbers asap , either way, I wish you the best
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have put no on past resumes, and it has worked out fine, I'd rather not involve my old job and if they ask I'll tell them why
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never selected "yes" for my current job. I've worked for a lot of small companies, if another company called to verify my employment they'd know in about 3 seconds that I'm interviewing and planning on leaving.
  • Options
    thanks for all the responses.. IN the end I selected NO. I did find it strange if I selected Yes they wanted my direct supervisor along with direct phone number.
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I recently filled one out for a position with a county school system. It also asked for my direct supervisor's information and "yes" "no" okay to contact. I selected "no" as well. I don't even know why they would want to call your boss. "Yes this is ___ with ___ and I'd like to ask some questions about one of your current employees who has applied for a position with us." Awkward
    :lol:
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I don't think many people would question you putting no. However there are some scenarios where they yes works out. For example you work well with/for your direct supervisor. You have outlived your growth in your current position, and he/she is willing to be a reference for you while you look. Then putting yes is a no brainer.
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Don't feel bad goldenlight, going through the same situation, had a few ask for direct employer, but usually I have put no and if i need a reference I have references from a second job i worked for 10 years. It is your business not your current employer hope you land it.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In most cases I have said no and it was never a problem. My last job they knew I was moving and needed to work closer to my new home so obviously it was okay for me to let them contact my work since I asked my manager.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never said yes to that question when it comes to contacting a current employer.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)