Options

Degree + CCNA but no IT work experience =?

cbremercbremer Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ill be graduating in april with a degree in Information assurance/Network security and I just passed the CCNA, however I have no real IT job experience. Do I have any hope of landing a job in security? or will I still have to start off at a helpdesk type job?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have job experience? If so, what type of experience do you have and is it necessary with a Networking position?
  • Options
    I have job experience just not anything related to I.T
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't seen anything in the way of entry level security positions out there. I know it's late but could you try to get an internship or anything while in school to get some experience?
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    cbremer wrote: »
    Ill be graduating in april with a degree in Information assurance/Network security and I just passed the CCNA, however I have no real IT job experience. Do I have any hope of landing a job in security? or will I still have to start off at a helpdesk type job?

If you get the Security+ you have a great chance to getting a sort of help desk gig on a nearby Military Installation. Dont ask me how I know, But it is more to it than Certification, you might live in West Virginia and the job market for IT might not be good, its more factors to the equation. the job market is not good in all 50 states. Maybe relocate? Add to CCNA, out of the 20+ certifications out there guess what is on the top 5 list that most people get CCNA just food for thought
  • Options
    Im hoping to get one more cert before the end of the semster either the sec+ ceh or ccna security, which would look best
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, if you just passed your CCNA, then you should definitely do the CCNA Security next.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    dpsmooth15dpsmooth15 Banned Posts: 155
    Im hoping to get one more cert before the end of the semster either the sec+ ceh or ccna security, which would look best

Security+, get the d. gibson book and pass in 3 weeks then tell me about it, dont pay attention to the experience word they talk about, Security+ exam can be passed by a 17 year old Junior/Senior in high school if he/she studies.…. …..Put in CCNA Security in any local search engine of your choice and tell me how many pages come up, if you count more than 1 possibly 2, the other ones will say CCNA and security in reference to something else in the paragraph further down the page. (no offense danny). CCNA Security is GREAT, but dont count on it opening any doors and your mailbox being full of recruiters/companies after you get it.if you want to get certs I can give you a list, if you want to get a JOB, now that is something different, you can get more certs. AFTER you have a job.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only reason I said CCNA Security is because the concepts of Cisco are fresh in your mind and would solidify your networking knowledge. Reality is the C|EH is $600, the Security+ is $293, CCNA Security: $250. Most likely with your degree and CCNA it should land you a job depending where you are located.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    I just looked at some sample questions /topics on the sec + and it does look pretty easy, so I think I will try and get that done in the next month or two thanks for the advice
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't bother with CEH. EC-Council are so incompetent, they got hacked over the weekend and have yet to correct the problem:
    EC Council official website hacked - E Hacker News

How valuable is a cert handed out by such incompetent fools. Go for the Security+ then CISSP. After your Bachelor degree, you'll need 4 years work experience for the CISSP, but you can be an associate which looks good on your resume.
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco CCNA Security Approved as Department of Defense 8570.01-M Certification - The Network: Cisco's Technology News Site

Why would Security+ be any more valuable especially in the military realm? By the way, I'm current military.. it's not. Security+ is a great baseline for security, but that's it. In my opinion, it's a beginner level cert that doesn't hold much weight anymore.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□

You can look for entry level security position/SOC Security Analyst. The hard part is the interview once you pass that they will teach you how to do the job...