Options

How hard is it to find a job in another state?

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
With relocation?

Without relocation?

Comments

• Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    It really depends on the location, how saturated is that market is with IT folks, what area of IT (networking, programming, security etc..) are in focusing on and the company's policy regarding relocation.

Some companies offer relocation assistant while others dont.

I think that the value are you bringing to that employer is more important to the employer before relocation assistant comes to play.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I can't speak for Unites States as I'm based in Europe, but I can tell you that prior to relocating to the UK, I've had only two responses. Distance-wise we could say it's very similar. Now that I'm here I'm getting responses from recruiters. I'm not satisfied with them, in fact they suck, but at least I'm getting some feedback. People aren't willing to bother with someone out of state when they have hundred of local applicants ready to come to an interview as needed. Unless you have something to offer that others don't, in that case distance is not a problem. Do you?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CIO hit it on the head. It depends on a lot of things. Having an in demand skill set being the most important.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Agree. I think it is safe to assume that if you are a Tier 1/2 helpdesk peep, you may have a harder time finding something involving relocation (paid or not) than if you are a seasoned network/systems/security guy with some specialization. It's also true that some companies will go the "looking for a local candidate only" route.
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I just did it, but it's a unique position and they aren't on time constraints so they were able to work with me. For the most part, you'll have to bring something special I would think. Best thing to do is try to build some relationships with recruiters in the area. I applied for all kinds of jobs, then once I could talk to the recruiters I had a point of contact on positions and they could help match me with jobs that might be a fit. You need to have everything ready, a date you'd like to move, and cash on hand to make it all happen. They wont take you serious if you approach it like "I'd like to live in XYZ."
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did this about five years ago. One of the best career decisions I've made. You're taking chances and if you don't have in demand skills then you might have to take a chance like I did and just move (i.e. without relocation pay).
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    I want to move out of state, but just can't without assistance right now.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    Without having a highly in demand skillset you are going to be hard pressed to find a job willing to pay for relocation. If the salary range you are looking for with your skills isn't in the upper end of the 5 digits and 6 digits, I'm gonna guess those jobs are slim to none willing to pay for your relocation.
  • Options
    w00tw00t Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently moved from Florida to Atlanta, GA. It was so much easier then I expected. I applied for a few places here in Atlanta and they did a screen interview to test my technical knowledge. Passed it and then they asked if I could come in for an interview. I told them I could do a Skype interview. A day later I did a Skype interview with the three Team Leads and a few technicians. A couple hours later the HR sent the Offer over and then I moved up there a few weeks later and it was not a paid relocation. It was still awesome how it played out and I'm extremely glad I was able to relocate so easy. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was able to accept a position out of state, however there was no relocation assistance offered. Although with the increase in salary despite the cost of living increase, it made the move more than worth it. I think the things that helped for me were emphasis during the interview process that I was already packed, had the money on hand to move, and was willing to fly/drive out to interview if needed. Have to show them you're serious about moving so they'll take you serious, at least that's what a recruiter I dealt with told me. Good luck on the search!

Edit: Also I picked up a cheap pre-paid cell phone so I could have a number with the local area code, not sure if that helped, but it might get you a few more calls back at least.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just as everyone else has said it depends on SkillSet. I can tell you one thing for sure my skillset got me to TN. I been also doing this for many years and I work with alot of Virtualization and Storage.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Not very difficult once you move there! As it seems to me, most employers are very hesitant to even hire people who live more than 15/20 miles away. Try leaving your location off of your resume. This has worked very well for me though I am not searching for jobs in another state (yet lol).