Options

Conferences on resume

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
Do you put the conferences you have attended to on your resume? If so, where do you put them?

Comments

• Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Attend as a speaker?
    If not I think there is no point to put that information on a resume.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would you hire somebody because they attended a conference? If your answer is "no" don't put them on, if your answer is "yes" don't hire people. icon_smile.gif
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Unless you are a speaker, I don't see the point. Attending a conference is no proof of knowledge or skill. However, it does show interest but I doubt it has a place on a resume. LinkedIn - maybe but not on a resume.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    *QA**QA* Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tend to record accomplishments rather than attendance.

In other words, if you attended a conference but did not act as a speaker, panelist or win a major contest or something I'd leave it off. If you did, and you did this often enough, you might create a separate section for this kind of thing (industry accomplishment? recognition?) - IF your prospective employer would consider that experience to place you above other candidates with similar work history.

Unless of course your conference included a significant educational event (such as official training - with a certificate of completion - for an industry certification or some other major work-relevant subject), in which case you might list that completion under education, again, IF your prospective employer would consider that training to place you above other candidates.

My rule of thumb for resumes: When trying to fit everything you can on one to two pages at most, anything not directly applicable or giving you a significant edge over similar candidates stays off the resume.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you are a speaker, I don't see the point. Attending a conference is no proof of knowledge or skill. However, it does show interest but I doubt it has a place on a resume. LinkedIn - maybe but not on a resume.
    Basically that was the idea, to show the employer my interest.