Options

IT Tech Interview Tips

DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
I'm finally getting calls on various Tech positions. It seems like my confidence is growing more and more. Any Tips on the Do's and Don't in a interview? Reason why I ask I'm a little rusty and out of the loop, 11 years working for only one company. Here are some of the things I've noticed.

1. The interview does not say much.
2. I've been ask a lot of scenario questions i.e. customer calls and says my computer won't turn on. Walk me through the troubleshooting steps.
3. Also, at times the interviewer tests you knowledge regarding the job function and the company line of business.

Any tips?
2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+

Comments

• Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The number 1 thing you need to do for these interviews, imho, is make sure you dress the part. Put on a tie, a button-up shirt, and some black slacks. Make sure you smell nice and you look nice. This probably sounds like common sense to a lot of people, but I've watched quite a few people walk into interviews in jeans and t-shirt in these past few days. Those people are almost automatically discarded, at least in my company.

Otherwise, be yourself. Give firm handshakes and look the person in the eye. Do a little research about the company, ask a few questions about the position. Show interest, show that you prepared. :)
  • Options
    kbowen0188 wrote: »
    The number 1 thing you need to do for these interviews, imho, is make sure you dress the part. Put on a tie, a button-up shirt, and some black slacks. Make sure you smell nice and you look nice. This probably sounds like common sense to a lot of people, but I've watched quite a few people walk into interviews in jeans and t-shirt in these past few days. Those people are almost automatically discarded, at least in my company.

Otherwise, be yourself. Give firm handshakes and look the person in the eye. Do a little research about the company, ask a few questions about the position. Show interest, show that you prepared. :)
    Thanks,
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sell yourself and make them feel you would be a great person to work with. Lot of places hire based on personality and culture fit, vs the tech knowledge. Tech knowledge can be learned... being a person that other people want to work with is not as easy. Now if you are a horrible person to work with.. I suggest you practice on how to fake that...lol....

But seriously be relaxed, personable. Things you don't know don't try to bs around... bright folks pick up on B.S'ers fairly quickly. Customer Service is a key component to the desktop side and having a good ability to communicate and know that IT exist to serve the business helps.

Know about the company, what they do, who are their main competitors. Ask them about some of their organizational obstacles and if they are willing to expound.. take the opportunity to state that the characteristics you have and possess would allow some of those holes to be filled. They should not be the only side with questions... You want to know about the culture, the day to day, the growth plan, and expansion projects... things in general that let them see you are invested in the opportunity and want to know more about what you are getting into.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    -Always always always be honest about what you know and don't know. If you put something on your resume be prepared to talk about it.
    -Be confident in your answers as well as remaining calm, cool, and collected.
    -Show that you have a desire to learn!
    -It's not all about answering technical questions right, make sure your personality shines and show that you are a likable person.
  • Options
    Sell yourself and make them feel you would be a great person to work with. Lot of places hire based on personality and culture fit, vs the tech knowledge. Tech knowledge can be learned... being a person that other people want to work with is not as easy. Now if you are a horrible person to work with.. I suggest you practice on how to fake that...lol....

But seriously be relaxed, personable. Things you don't know don't try to bs around... bright folks pick up on B.S'ers fairly quickly. Customer Service is a key component to the desktop side and having a good ability to communicate and know that IT exist to serve the business helps.

Know about the company, what they do, who are their main competitors. Ask them about some of their organizational obstacles and if they are willing to expound.. take the opportunity to state that the characteristics you have and possess would allow some of those holes to be filled. They should not be the only side with questions... You want to know about the culture, the day to day, the growth plan, and expansion projects... things in general that let them see you are invested in the opportunity and want to know more about what you are getting into.
    Wow thanks a lot, I'm going to change my approach. Selling yourself is the key.
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    -Always always always be honest about what you know and don't know. If you put something on your resume be prepared to talk about it.
    -Be confident in your answers as well as remaining calm, cool, and collected.
    -Show that you have a desire to learn!
    -It's not all about answering technical questions right, make sure your personality shines and show that you are a likable person.
    Your first point is KEY, i.e. on my resume I included that I have knowledge of Windows Server (Which I do) not to the capacity on a day to day use. The interview ask me some questions regarding server. To my advantage he did not go deep into it, but the next interviewer probably will.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    As it says above that is the truth. Be honest. Just because you dont know something does not automatically disclude you and show though that you are totally on board to work hard and learn it.

I told them during this place I am at now "I am sorry I dont know that but I could find the answer in Cisco's documentation if needed or off another switch". Heck when I got asked about DHCP snooping i even said "I haven't hit that chapter in my CCNP book yet. That is Chapter 8. I am up to 2" and they loved that.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Try not to be too calm. I believe this is why I failed my last interview. It was either that or the grey (they are all I had) slacks lol.
  • Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oop, that does remind me (and other people pointed this out). If you don't know something, definitely be honest about it, but also be sure you let them know you are very happy to find out the answer to something you don't know. A lot of the time you won't know the answer to everything, but having the drive to FIND the answers for everything can make up for that.

And gray slacks, ew. ;)
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    And gray slacks, ew. ;)

lol as I said... all I had.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    -Ask questions that are higher level then the position. Like if your going for a tier one helpdesk/NOC role ask about then ask about the domain structure/Where are the FSMO assigned/OSPF or EIGRP? etc

-Also kiss ass. Ask the interviewer about himself and how he got where he is. People love talking about themselves.

-Dont know the question? Admit it. Say what you do know that is similar but admit you arent sure about the specific question.
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    And gray slacks, ew. ;)

I'm screwed, I wore a gray suit on my interview last monday :). The most interesting question I was asked was " so you're pursuing a degree in IT, I'm just curious.. how's that working out for you because.. I don't have an IT degree (looks at the other interviewer and asks "do you have a degree in IT? The other guy shook his head while giving a slight laugh).
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    I was asked was " so you're pursuing a degree in IT, I'm just curious.. how's that working out for you because.. I don't have an IT degree (looks at the other interviewer and asks "do you have a degree in IT? The other guy shook his head while giving a slight laugh).
    Ive noticed people who don't have degrees or certs (especially in high positions) often hold it against people who do.
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Ive noticed people who don't have degrees or certs (especially in high positions) often hold it against people who do.

That could be true however there may be a reason for it. One of the interviewer told me that there is nothing in school that will help me prepare for the job right away. I'm under the impression that they value certs more than an IT degree, providing there is work experience. This is for a Help Desk Analyst I position for which I have zero experience. The hiring manager was kind enough to explain what corporate IT is and what typically prepares someone for the job opening. They know I don't have any experience so the main questions I was asked was my experience with hardware, software, mobile devices and remote networking.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What Chitownjedi said is key. You must ask questions, especially intelligent ones. Usually all you get is a job posting that may be fairly generic. By asking questions about the company's needs is how you can show what you can bring to the table and how you can help achieve goals and solve problems. What is the infrastructure like? How is the IT team structured? What are you current challenges? What projects are coming up int he next 6 months? When the hell do I start? OK, maybe not the last one, but definitely the rest.

Another thing, when I interviewed candidates I hated getting plain "I don't know" responses. I mean that answer by itself. I expect you to follow up with how you would resolve something you don't know. Tell me you will research it, Google it, ask a peer, call the vendor/manufacturer, post on Techexams (extra point for this one), or something similar. Plain "I don't know" is just unacceptable.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.