Options

Advice on creating a Resume suitable for applying to Federal jobs

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I've heard that you should create a resume with extreme detail of all jobs performed when applying to a government job. Any other advice some of you guys out there may have?
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    For government job's you need to make sure your resume covers point by point the KSA's as well as any requirements they list.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would copies of any certifications listed be necessary as well whether they are required for the job or not?
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    I would suggest it depends on what agency. If they offer you the option to upload "Other" documents you can. However from my experience and people I know you should stick with exactly what they are asking for without deviation. If it doesn't ask for a certification, don't send extra paperwork for it.
  • Options
    karedekarede Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In addition to tailoring your resume around the KSA of the job you want, I would use usajob's resume creator. Most federal jobs are advertised on there anyway, if that is not what you are using. Creates a standard resume for you that you can then create a word document from. A few minutes of editing and you are good to go.

If the agency is one of the bigger ones, they use some sort of "computer system" to scan resumes before it even notifies a human. So, be sure to read the KSA as Tomko said, and fill your resume with them.

Some people even put a "keywords" section in their resume, but have it in white words on a white background (ie invisible). I've never personally done so, and have taken several federal jobs. Up to you. I think naturally bringing their KSA keywords into your experience is a safer option.