Options

Uses of domain functional level

lAwBoYlAwBoY Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi , can someone explain to me the uses of domain functional level ?
i dont really understand what it is use for

Comments

• Options
    Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    Your domain functional level relates to the servers etc that comprise your network and determines what level of functionality you have, the domain controllers supported and the group scopes supported I.e.

Windows 2000 mixed mode - NT 4.0, Windows 2K and Windows 2003 DC's

Windows 2000 native - Windows 2K and Windows 2003, global, domain local and universal groups

Windows 2003 - All windows 2003 servers, global, domain local and universal groups

Pick this according to your setup, the higher the domain level the more features the schema etc offers
  • Options
    lAwBoYlAwBoY Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does that mean if i using Windows 2000 mixed mode , i can have a mixture of NT 4.0, Windows 2K and Windows 2003 all acting as DC's

where as if i use Windows 2003 as DFL , i cannot have xp running as DC
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes in 2000 mixed you can have NT4, 2003 will allow XP
  • Options
    Windows 200 mixed means that u are allowed NT4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Domain Controllers. XP is not a Server Operating System so would never be a domain controller!! Obviously XP clients can join the network succesfully tho!! :D
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doesn't Mixed mode also allow for the roles of NT servers to remain the same; i.e., primary and backup? Once NT servers are removed from domain (physically or OS-wise) the network should be switched to Native?
  • Options
    Yes i believe that is correct. The DFL should be changed to native mode once the NT server have been removed and you are sure there will be no need to implement them again in the future!!