Options

Just staring out?

Don't worryDon't worry Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am new to the It world and will be receiving a few certificates iA by the end of this summer. I am wondering which certifications I should get? If I had the option of obtaining three, which ones would you recommend and why? Of course, salary and demand should influence which certifications are useful to obtain as well. I was thinking Cisco Voice, Cisco Security and possibly something Microsoft related. Would my CCNA be required if I obtain the Voice or Security certifications? Also, how valuable is a Microsoft certification, is it relevant? Lastly, I have no degree nor any experience and am located in the Midwest.

Comments

• Options
    M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how knowledgeable are you with computers?
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends what you want to do. Microsoft certs are highly relevant for a systems administrator in a Microsoft environment but much less relevant for a network engineer or a sysadmin who works exclusively with Red Hat. Cisco's entry level (CCENT) is a great introduction to basic networking, and it is required for CCNA Security or Voice (you don't have to have the full CCNA R&S for those, just the CCENT).

I would recommend taking CCENT and deciding if you like networking. If so, take the ICND2 test for CCNA. If you work with VoIP a lot, take Voice; if you want to get into security, take Security; if you want to work with desktops and servers, take one of the Microsoft certs for Windows 7 or 8 or Server 2008/2012, depending on the environment you're working in.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, why are you getting involved in IT? Do you love it or do you just love the thought of big money?

Second, as stated above, it really depends on what you want to do. Make sure you clarify that point. If you don't, then you might end up spending a lot of time and money pursuing a technology that does nothing for you and causes you to be discouraged.

Third, research the job market where you are. Type in various keywords, such as AD, CCNA, MCSA, etc. That will let you know the relevance of any particular technology cert path that you might be considering.

Fourth, once you've seen where the demand lies, go to Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, etc and read up on what is involved in obtaining a cert. Read about the technology and see if it piques your interest. If it does, go to the library and see if they have any books on the subject. If they do, read up on it and see if it holds your interest. Download the appropriate software that lets you test-drive the technology. Get your hands dirty...but be careful. You might end up loving it and missing a bit of sleep!

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    SCL1419SCL1419 Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with stryder144 if you are interested in IT for the money, you are not going to be very successful. IT is a very competitive field because you either have alot of people who are naturally talented with computers and you have other people who enter this with the mindset that they are going to get some big payout.

It has to start with a vision, passion and what YOU want to do. This includes alot of research as far as finding your place in IT and knowing what you what in life. You had stated you are getting an iA certification so my advice to you is get very familiar with programing and networking. I would go in such order

1. A+
    2. N+ or CCNA
    3. CCNA Security
    4. Associate of (ISC)²

It wouldn't hurt that you get at least an Associate in Computer Science as well. You are going to have a really hard time finding a job without it. Best of luck!
  • Options
    M3CodyM3Cody Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally for me looking to go into networking

A+ (done)
    N+ (current study)
    CCNA

You could do CCENT, but ive found more jobs with N+ listed than CCENT, and even more jobs better? with CCNA.
    Good luck. Oh and I know people tell you you have to be overly passionate about IT and make it your obsession etc. I know plenty of successful Network Engineers and IT managers that did it for the money. They were good, and they had lives outside of IT. So don't let that scare you off.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    A+, CCENT, Security+, Network+, and MTA are some great certifications to get when starting out.
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SCL1419 wrote: »
    I agree with stryder144 if you are interested in IT for the money, you are not going to be very successful. IT is a very competitive field because you either have alot of people who are naturally talented with computers and you have other people who enter this with the mindset that they are going to get some big payout.

It has to start with a vision, passion and what YOU want to do. This includes alot of research as far as finding your place in IT and knowing what you what in life. You had stated you are getting an iA certification so my advice to you is get very familiar with programing and networking. I would go in such order

1. A+
    2. N+ or CCNA
    3. CCNA Security
    4. Associate of (ISC)²

It wouldn't hurt that you get at least an Associate in Computer Science as well. You are going to have a really hard time finding a job without it. Best of luck!

I disagree. You don't need to have a passion for IT, just an aptitude for it. I don't really have a passion for IT. My passion is music. I am good with technology and have an aptitude for it, and I have had a solid career working for me the past 8 years now...

Sometimes, your life work ISN'T a passion. That is okay. My father in law works as a machinist in a production plant and has for 34 years. This isn't a passion, but it affords him the ability to take care of his family, which IS his passion.

-scott