Options

BGP full mesh

MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a sample Question that asks

What statement is true about IBGP routers? Select the best response.

A-They must be full meshed
B-They can be in a differnent AS
C-They must be directly connected
D-They do not need to be directly connected.

According to the answer with the parctice exam the correct response is D.
Why is A not correct also ? Is the question just a bad example ?

I did some research and "y
ou need to have all your iBGP routers full-meshed unless you have a route-reflector or are using confederations"

Comments

• Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Answer A says they must be full meshed which is simply not true. They can be and its recommended but its not requirement of iBGP. Must is the keyword for that answer.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    iBGP should be fully meshed to prevent potential routing loops if you don't use confed/reflector, but it's not a strict requirement.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Being fully meshed doesn't prevent routing loops, the rule not allowing iBGP learned routes to be advertised to an iBGP neighbor prevents routing loops. Due to this rule, in order to propagate eBGP routes to all neighbors a full mesh is required otherwise traffic will get blackholed. So the full mesh is a design rule of thumb but not a mandatory config requirement.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    And the reason for the rule is because of the BGP split horizon rule that EdTheLad mentions. To mitigate this, you could use a route-reflector which reflects the routing updates, just like a mirror.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There are also tools to get around needing an iBGP full mesh so it is definitely not mandatory.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A.) As already stated there are some reasons why you dont HAVE to have a full mesh. It's more considered a best practice so other routers within the iBGP AS can reach other networks.

B.) This is not correct because iBGP essientally means "local" so if you are specifying different AS numbers you are essentially trying to setup eBGP.

C.) iBGP neighbors do NOT have to be directly connected, nor do eBGP neighbors (however this is the general norm of how they are establish fo eBGP). iBGP by default actually very commonly mesh which creats neighbors that are not all the time directly connected.

D.) This is the correct answer for reasons already stated.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    answer a says they must be full meshed which is simply not true. They can be and its recommended but its not requirement of ibgp. Must is the keyword for that answer.

/\ this!