Options

Anyone here upgrade vCloud Director 1.5.x to 5.1.3 yet ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
And had as much fun with the wrong upgrade guides as I did ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    And had as much fun with the wrong upgrade guides as I did ?

A colleague and I were joking with the boss just yesterday that we were going to do it whilst he was away (we haven't..... yet).

Ours ties in to vCO and vFAD so want to be careful (luckily I am building up a test environment to do it in first).
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    We don't even have a test environment so I had to bastardise my own lab for it. One thing I can tell you is - don't believe in the documentation :)

5.1.3 is quite new and whilst you can find some guidance in what to upgrade how, some seems copy paste from 5.1.2

The main issue with vShield Managers seem to be disk space - there is a maintenance patch which you need to apply to free up /common on the VSM, but for some reason it works only 4 out of 10 times. The other 6 times I ended up with no settings on the VSM.

Whilst your environment is likely different, I am coming from vCloud Director 1.5.2 and vShield Manager 5.0.1

The only way I was able to upgrade the vShield Manager to 5.1.3 successfully (10 out of 10) was using the following order :

- Apply Maintenance Patch VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.0-939118.tar.gz
    - Upgrade to 5.1.2 using VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-5.1.2-943471.tar.gz
    - Backup Config from inside VSM Interface
    - Deploy new VSM and restore backup
    - Apply Maintenance Patch VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.1.2-997359.tar.gz
    - Upgrade vShield Edges
    - Upgrade to 5.1.3 using VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-5.1.3-1563888.tar.gz

Continue with vCenter / ESXi etc.

When you read release notes and upgrade guides you will notice that vShield Edges are to be upgraded as last step.

This can be seen here in the Sequence KB as well.

However, once my vShield Manager was on 5.1.3, it was unable to see the Edges and therefore couldn't be upgraded.

When I upgraded the vShield Edges after the 5.1.2a maintenance bundle (5.1.2-997359), I was able to upgrade them again when I upgraded to 5.1.3 eventually.

I was also able to go to 5.1.3 when I went via 5.0.2, but I still had the same issue with the Edges that VSM was not able to see them.

Again, every environment is different, but I asked VMware to have a chat with their engineering department to confirm the requirements for 5.1.3

My guess is, that depending on how many logs you got, the freespace on /common might JUST about enough every now and then for 5.1.3

But yea - good luck.

At least I learned a lot during this process. I setup a shiny new VCD Infrastructure in about an hour now ... that includes Orgs and Templates :p

PS: Don't forget your VCD Agents :p
  • Options
    We don't even have a test environment so I had to bastardise my own lab for it. One thing I can tell you is - don't believe in the documentation :)

5.1.3 is quite new and whilst you can find some guidance in what to upgrade how, some seems copy paste from 5.1.2

The main issue with vShield Managers seem to be disk space - there is a maintenance patch which you need to apply to free up /common on the VSM, but for some reason it works only 4 out of 10 times. The other 6 times I ended up with no settings on the VSM.

Whilst your environment is likely different, I am coming from vCloud Director 1.5.2 and vShield Manager 5.0.1

The only way I was able to upgrade the vShield Manager to 5.1.3 successfully (10 out of 10) was using the following order :

- Apply Maintenance Patch VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.0-939118.tar.gz
    - Upgrade to 5.1.2 using VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-5.1.2-943471.tar.gz
    - Apply Maintenance Patch VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-maintenance-5.1.2-997359.tar.gz
    - Upgrade vShield Edges
    - Upgrade to 5.1.3 using VMware-vShield-Manager-upgrade-bundle-5.1.3-1563888.tar.gz

Continue with vCenter / ESXi etc.

When you read release notes and upgrade guides you will notice that vShield Edges are to be upgraded as last step.

This can be seen here in the Sequence KB as well.

However, once my vShield Manager was on 5.1.3, it was unable to see the Edges and therefore couldn't be upgraded.

When I upgraded the vShield Edges after the 5.1.2a maintenance bundle (5.1.2-997359), I was able to upgrade them again when I upgraded to 5.1.3 eventually.

I was also able to go to 5.1.3 when I went via 5.0.2, but I still had the same issue with the Edges that VSM was not able to see them.

Again, every environment is different, but I asked VMware to have a chat with their engineering department to confirm the requirements for 5.1.3

My guess is, that depending on how many (i.e.) logs you got, the freespace on /common might JUST about enough every now and then for 5.1.3

But yea - good luck.

At least I learned a lot during this process. I setup a shiny new VCD Infrastructure in about an hour now ... that includes Orgs and Templates :p

PS: Don't forget the VCD Agents on the hosts. Until these are upgraded, the hosts will appear as unavailable in VCD. If you intend to upgrade the hosts itself at a later date, make sure you upgrade the agents asap.