Options

Network Admin Job

tkdviperstkdvipers Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey People

First of first post but I have been lurking. I am located in Britain and just wanted a bit of advice from someones previous experience. I got the position I have about a year and half ago. The title was ICT Tech and it is at a school. Since being there though I have revamped the network with the help of RM so they are now running 2003 and XP with an RM cc3 front end.

I have had my title changed to Network Admin cause thats what I do as well as everything else (which is a lot and very diverse).

I was planning to ride this out till July next year (the end of the school year) then look for another job. I am working towards an MCSE and a Computer science degree with the Open Uni. By July Iwill have 2 years experience but it is my first job. Should I stay for a longer period? What are my chances of getting a job within a corporate enviroment?

I understand there is no black and white, Yes and no answers to this but anybodys experience would be helpfull thanks in advance.
Network + , Advanced Diploma NVQ LV3 Hardware and systems support, Studying A+

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I think the first thing you should do is see what is in demand in your area (or the area to which you are willing to travel ;)), ie. check job sites. If you think you can still learn something at your current job and the pay is decent I would make certain I could get a new job beforehand.
  • Options
    tkdviperstkdvipers Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks

Yeah I agree I live in a small country place but about 25 miles there is some big places which need IT I think I would move if I got a job there.
    I get paid about 14000 a year before tax for what I do.

The thing is when I first went in there it was awfull, and there was a guy who works for like 20 schools who took me under his wing and really taught me some good stuff. Which helped with my knowledge. But now it all works great and today I spent all day watching Mike Meyers and and reading A+, which may sound great but I wnat to be doing the job. Best way to learn!!

Thanks for the insight. This site really is a great resource.
    Network + , Advanced Diploma NVQ LV3 Hardware and systems support, Studying A+